Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 06-14-2007, 12:51 AM

Default A strange way to play trips.

No read on this guy, although his avatar shows an asian man. Anyways, I haven't played this game in a while and am very rusty. How is this line?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.30 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

5th Street - (2.15 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.15 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (6.15 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: (7.15 BB)
Old 06-14-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Re: A strange way to play trips.

I'd raise 6th instead of calling and betting the river because it looks like he might have a flush draw. Therefore, he might not bet or call on the river, plus, if you don't fill you might get raised if he makes his flush.

Carlos
Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 AM

Any particular reason you didn't raise sixth? I'm fine with the rest of it.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any particular reason you didn't raise sixth? I'm fine with the rest of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was trying to do a complicated slowplay...or maybe he was scared of trip tens, but I doubt it given the river bet...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 AM

His river card does make trip Tens less likely....
Old 06-14-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

true...I didn't notice...if he was scared of tens he shouldn't have been given the action so far...
Old 06-14-2007, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

true...I didn't notice...if he was scared of tens he shouldn't have been given the action so far...

[/ QUOTE ]

Being "scared of tens," doesn't mean I think he always has trip tens.

On 6th I decided he either had aces and tens or trip tens, since his 4th street check in a multiway pot was uncharacteristic of a four-flush. If he has aces up, he might fold to a raise (this is really unlikely against most players, particularly those that call a bet on 5th with just aces, which is why I probably should've just raised 6th), but if he has trip tens, he'll 3-bet, and I'll have to call. If I just call, I figured he would bet aces up on the river after my passive 6th street play, and then be more likely to call a raise since the pot would be larger, and less likely to 3-bet if he has trip tens. So, at the time I felt I win more on average by just calling and raising the river.

Given the fact that he only limped on 3rd street, checked 4th, I think his most likely hand by far is aces up (I'm still not sure because he folded to my river raise), and since I doubt he folds to a raise, I probably should've just raised 6th.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 AM

He can't have aces up - two aces have been folded on 3rd, one on 4th street. Also, I'm a beginner, but I would have folded 3rd. I like your play on 6th and 7th, though I definitely would be afraid of trips on 6th and just call for that reason. Could it be he simply has some small pair in the hole?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He can't have aces up - two aces have been folded on 3rd, one on 4th street. Also, I'm a beginner, but I would have folded 3rd. I like your play on 6th and 7th, though I definitely would be afraid of trips on 6th and just call for that reason. Could it be he simply has some small pair in the hole?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you're right. I should pay more attention when I play.