Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Friday is Free-Thought Day! [crickets] er. Humanism stuff

Mods - please keep this in the lounge. I find SMP tiresome.

So the local chapter of the humanist society has declared Friday to be Free Thought Day in our fair city of Worcester. It's silly (just read the comments in that "news" story) but it got me thinking (heh) about humanism and humanist groups.

I see much of value in the perspective offered by humanism, but isn't it a contradiction for humanists to align their thoughts and beliefs into a codified system? In doing so, aren't organizations like the AHA treading a fine line between rhetoric and dogma?

I actually agree with humanist positions on many issues, but I was surprised to see them codified at the AHA site. That also seemed silly. Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Friday is Free-Thought Day! [crickets] er. Humanism stuff

I don't think I've ever moved a post from here to SMP. I don't have a great response to this post, but I can keep it here for you.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM

It would help any discussion if you could elaborate on this further. I don't live in this town, and I don't comprehend the purpose of this day.

I see it in the same tone as "Flag Day" or "Arbor Day." For one day, we are supposed to be able to have a flag or plant a tree? I don't comprehend it.

I am also confused about what "free thought" means. Is your city normally Stalinist or something? Is a City Hall forum opened up this day?

I guess this day is giving you the same concerns as I am having, that there is no reason to dedicate a day to what should be a given anyways?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:56 AM

"Free Thought" Day, hmmmm.

Go find the chapter president's wife on Friday and give her a Frenchie in front of everyone, let's see if they really mean it....

Seriously, more info, this sounds like it could be very interesting.

I'm going to read up on humanism are report back I think. Apart from some aribtrary lip service it's given by atheists who don't want to look like heathens, I don't know much about it.

I do remember some stuff about Utilitarianism which I'm of the impression may be a branch of Humanism.

Back later!
Old 10-11-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see much of value in the perspective offered by humanism, but isn't it a contradiction for humanists to align their thoughts and beliefs into a codified system?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The point of an organization is a compendium of thought. It appears that they want a world where non-bible-thumpers can pursue their own idea of happiness without government infringement, especially when there is supposedly a separation of Church and State.

This is like saying that Atheists have not sense of purpose or morals, and that simply is not true. Atheism in itself is a dogma.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Couple things:

The article in my local paper (linked in the OP) reminded me of the "What do you think" graphics in the Onion.

Of course I understand that an organization like AHA is for like-minded people to get together, exchange ideas, etc. I guess I just always thought of Humanism in the same way that I think of branches of philosophy like phenomenology, metaphysics, existentialism, epistomology.... I am obviously wrong in that perception.

It appears that capital H Humanism is a movement or organization not unlike a religion with its own dogmatic constructs. This is what didn't gibe with my earlier perception.

Since I stumbled across this article I've done some poking around at the AHA site. There clearly is an agenda - they're setting themselves up as the antithesis to the religious right (which they call Christian Nationalists).

They are distancing themselves from atheism (I guess the term has reverted to a pejorative). One article I read compared atheism to racism in that non-racists don't seem to need a word to describe themselves, so non-theists shouldn't need a moniker either. This is silly semantics IMO.

I've been working through my belief system for years but have started to articulate my world view better now. I see similarities in some of what the AHA site uses to define Humanism, but I'm uncomfortable with the "manifesto" aspect of it, and the level of propaganda in the articles posted or linked on the AHA site.

Lastly, when I think of "Free Thought" I tend to take that literally: explore your own ideas, challenge yourself, question why you believe what you believe, learn a new skill. This is quite different from learning an organization's rhetoric and parroting it back.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:37 PM

I saw the headline this morning and just assumed Konnie was pandering for votes so she could be elected mayor. Am I wrong?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Toro -

There was another Humanism article in the T&G a couple weeks back. I think the T&G is trying to give equal time to them, since they publish so many stories on the Catholic Diocese. The comment in yesterday's story and the reader comments clearly miss the point, but yeah, Konnie won't back away from exposure.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see much of value in the perspective offered by humanism, but isn't it a contradiction for humanists to align their thoughts and beliefs into a codified system?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The point of an organization is a compendium of thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was to acquire more power and eventually forget its charter.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couple things:

The article in my local paper (linked in the OP) reminded me of the "What do you think" graphics in the Onion.

Of course I understand that an organization like AHA is for like-minded people to get together, exchange ideas, etc. I guess I just always thought of Humanism in the same way that I think of branches of philosophy like phenomenology, metaphysics, existentialism, epistomology.... I am obviously wrong in that perception.

It appears that capital H Humanism is a movement or organization not unlike a religion with its own dogmatic constructs. This is what didn't gibe with my earlier perception.

Since I stumbled across this article I've done some poking around at the AHA site. There clearly is an agenda - they're setting themselves up as the antithesis to the religious right (which they call Christian Nationalists).

They are distancing themselves from atheism (I guess the term has reverted to a pejorative). One article I read compared atheism to racism in that non-racists don't seem to need a word to describe themselves, so non-theists shouldn't need a moniker either. This is silly semantics IMO.

I've been working through my belief system for years but have started to articulate my world view better now. I see similarities in some of what the AHA site uses to define Humanism, but I'm uncomfortable with the "manifesto" aspect of it, and the level of propaganda in the articles posted or linked on the AHA site.

Lastly, when I think of "Free Thought" I tend to take that literally: explore your own ideas, challenge yourself, question why you believe what you believe, learn a new skill. This is quite different from learning an organization's rhetoric and parroting it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Humanism is an idea, not an organization. This organization did not invent the idea and is not the arbiter of it, nor does the idea depend on it.

I wouldn't bother tying the idea to the organization. It could only be misleading.