Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Come and See

when Simba is sheepishly saying "dad, wake up" while nudging Mufasa after the stampede. It's not even close.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Come and See

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad someone put up a trailer for the most harrowing film of all time, "Come and See" (Russian, 1985). It's kind of like Schindler's List meets Apocalypse Now in Russia. The trailer is here (and wait for the final image which is just brutal):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMKwM...ed&search=

The scene with the girl and boy running and the girl looking back at the village is the most devastating thing I ever saw on film. This picture explains things better than I can:

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of this film before...is it worth seeking out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw this.

Wow. What a triumphant, technically brilliant, devastating motion picture. The whole film is like one long nightmare you can't wake up from, with no traditional narrative - just the chaos of war as seen through the eyes of a teenaged boy.

There were sequences in this film that were so good I was astonished at the level of film making. Most of the film is shot with a Steadicam and in long, incredibly choreographed takes that must have taken weeks to get right. But it all feels real, as if the camera is capturing events as they happen.

To me, this is the beauty of watching foreign films: to realize there are other ways to make movies, not just the Hollywood model.

Fantastic film and one I'll be thinking about for a long time.

Thanks for recommending this!

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night also saw this based on John's recommendation. This one might be too intense and horrific for something like the DVD Club but more people here in the US need to see this sort of movie.

A couple background links to the history:

Belarus During WW 2

Occupation by Nazi Germany

These links are just Wikis; if anyone has better ones focusing on the sort of thing that is show in the movie please post.

~ Rick
Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: most emotionally devasting moment in film

charlotte's web
Old 09-30-2007, 06:33 PM

Grave of The Fireflies surely has been mentioned, but the scene that gets me is when the little girl is lying on the ground, so starved that she started eating mud. She made these little mud balls, thinking they were rice balls and they furthered her dehydration. That alone is harsh, but the fact that she saved a few for her brother when he gets back is just wrenching.

[ QUOTE ]
Passion of the Christ is pretty devestating imo. But then again its not totally devestating because of the whole ressurrection/died for our sins bit.

I don't see how the knife scene in Saving Private Ryan is even close tbh, its pretty grim and harrowing yes, but I didn't really have any huge affinity for the character so it wasn't really that emotional for me tbh.

For a slightly different choice - the scene outside the Opera house at the end of Godfather 3 (f the haters) is a scene I've always loved and been touched by. Al Pacino scream is absolutely chilling, its like the remnants of his soul are literally being ripped out of him during that scream. Amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call with Three. Best part is that when he first howls the sound is muted, then when he heaves another breath and screams again the sound is on and you hear his haunting cry.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grave of The Fireflies surely has been mentioned, but the scene that gets me is when the little girl is lying on the ground, so starved that she started eating mud. She made these little mud balls, thinking they were rice balls and they furthered her dehydration. That alone is harsh, but the fact that she saved a few for her brother when he gets back is just wrenching.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I don't know if this makes me want to see it more, or less.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:49 AM

The scene near the end of Forrest Gump where he is talking to Jenny at her grave breaks my heart.

As a child, Where the Red Fern Grows.

Others that have been mentioned that I completely agree with:
- Legends of the Fall
- American History X
Old 10-02-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The scene near the end of Forrest Gump where he is talking to Jenny at her grave breaks my heart.

As a child, Where the Red Fern Grows.

Others that have been mentioned that I completely agree with:
- Legends of the Fall
- American History X

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee,

I haven't seen Where the Red Fern Grows in years.

It was an absolutely wonderful movie.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People have metnioned the knifing in Saving Private Ryan, but I get far more affected by the death of Irwin Wade (the medic). He was by far the most likeable guy in the crew, and this was shortly after he'd talked about his mother being a doctor and her coming home late at night.

There are several scenes in Band of Brothers that always get me, but especially the one in the Battle of the Bulge episode when the Cajun medic returns to Bastogne and finds the emergency hospital blown up and his nurse friend likely dead. That one just kills me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree. The part where Ribisi (Wade) gets killed bothers me far more than the knife scene. It is not because of the likability of one character over another either. It just seems so real and him screaming, "That is my [censored] liver!". Plus the scene prior with the letter to his mom that adds to the emotion. I can hardly watch that scene and I see the movie often enough.

In Band of Brothers, the Bastogne episode where the buddy is a few feet away shot in the neck and they can not help him or there is a scene where a shell hits right in the foxhole that is really emotional as well.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:11 AM

Dances With Wolves: The very end when Kevin Costner's character is leaving camp with his lady friend, and the Indian who was very hard on him the whole movie is shouting from up on top the mountain, 'Dances With Wolves! Can't you see you are my friend!' That part puts me in tears every time.

Also, Legends of the Fall and The Natural are good calls.

Off topic a bit, but the last six minutes of the 'Six Feet Under' series finale makes be bawl every time, too.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 AM

Rounders: When Matt McDermott'S Nine's full get cracked by Teddy KGB's Ace's full.....DAMMIT!
chokes me up every time....