Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Detecting a form of cheating

Several factors (beyond the utterly bizarre play of a number of hands) have made me concerned that a player in a club game is cheating, possibly with dealer help. The player has a strong preference for the 1/10 seats (who seat-changes from the 9 to the 1-seat?) and his results are much better there. Away from the dealer, he's just a loose, awful, losing player. Next to the dealer, he's still outwardly terrible backtracking from showdown to evaluate decisions throughout the hand, but he's a chip-vacuuming machine. He doesn't just make loose calls, hit big hands, and then get paid off.. he aggressively gets money in, then spikes hands.. over, and over, and over, and from other people's reports, the guy is a big long-term winner in the game BY DOING THAT A LOT. And for the stupid number of hands he hits, he gets to the river (after calling a turn bet) with busted draws way too infrequently. So he's on the heater of all heaters, or something fishy is going on.

I don't think he's holding out, since it doesn't fit the play that well, but I guess it's possible. His play from the 1/10 seat is consistent with a loose-bad player who knows the turn (and possibly river) before it comes out. Burn cards and hired dealers are used, of course. The game is juicy enough to keep playing in (if I just sit in the 2-3 and fold every hand he's in), and I'm not 100% convinced that the guy is cheating yet, just that it's a strong possibility.

What should I be looking for? The shuffle and cut by the dealer appear legit, and there's no obvious dealer peeking at the stub.