Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Live Poker Adjustments/Considerations/Tendencies (Discuss please)

Bond, really well said and thoughtout. I play a lot of live and I can't say strongly enough how true these things are. I often see live pros doing things that online are awful, but work live for the reasons you suggested. I have a lot more to say on this, will add to it later for sure.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the first level of a poker tournaments, your PTBB/100 might be like 20, if you double early, it might be like 21, and if you lose out, it will be 0. So by doubling early, getting it in as a 50/50, you lose a lot of the value that you would have had by being at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really applicable. If you have another game to go any play in (online or whatever), then you can make your 20 PTBB or whatever there. If you haven't, then doubling up might not increase your hourly at all, but you can apply it for more hours, right ?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of irrelevant, since either;
1) Your hourly rate in a live tourney is much higher than playing online
2) You play the live the tourney because you want to maximize your equity in that live tourney
Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... So online every once in a while some 15/12 will open 97s UTG, but he's much less likely to show his hand and you're much less likely to notice if he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually started my poker journey as a live player long before the Moneymaker incident, so one comment I have is living without PAHUD/Pokertracker/pokerstove/pokerdb/etc. If you are serious about playing live, taper off the online advantages and scale back to only 1 MTT at a time. If you cannot get over your A.D.D. in the comfort of your own home, you may be in for a nasty surprise playing live.

I am well aware that this is very -eV for online play, but the WSOP isn't the FTOPS.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 PM

Bond,

Great post.

I agree very much with #7, ballistic on the bubble. That being said, I have seen some very strange things happen when trying to run people over at this point, and getting a read on when someone is willing to go to the mat during a hand is very key.

I'll also add the following problem about image and pot odds that seems to come up near every tourney I play. I will make a steal raise with ATC and then be forced to call a shortie's all in stand getting 3-1 or so. Knocking the player with AQ out with my 32o leaves a lasting impression on the rest of the table.