Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Giving bums money

So I'm sort of a sucker for that stuff and feel sort of guilty sometimes driving around in my nice car, having nice things and money when I'm so young and feel like I haven't really done anything to deserve it, so I make a lot of charitable donations and volunteer and stuff like that. And it's more than just a way for me to approve of my lifestyle- I actually enjoy the feeling of helping others and giving back.

But what I don't understand is the people who stand at intersections with signs. Maybe times I have contemplated giving them a few bucks or something but I don't even know how to.
-Getting out of my car seems like a bad idea as I'm leaving my car unoccupied in the middle of the road and the light could change at any time.
-Inviting them over to my car causes them to walk through traffic and encourages them to approach my vehicle.
-Throwing money out the window in their direction seems funny, almost like I'm mocking them.

So if I actually wanted to help them the only way I can really see it working is if I'm the first person at the light and it just changed. No? Is there another way that I'm missing out on? I told my friends I was considering giving a guy near to my house like $50 or something if he would acknowledge me with a wave or whatever when he saw me drive past. Is that stupid/disrespectful? I sort of thought that it would be nice to be remembered for doing something and I also thought it might make his day brighter or something, like he had a familiar face. They said I was just mocking his existence.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Giving bums money

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm sort of a sucker

[/ QUOTE ]
No [censored].

[ QUOTE ]
I sort of thought that it would be nice to be remembered for doing something

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll be remembered just long enough for him to walk to the liquor store. Don't be an idiot.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm sort of a sucker

[/ QUOTE ]
No [censored].

[ QUOTE ]
I sort of thought that it would be nice to be remembered for doing something

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll be remembered just long enough for him to walk to the liquor store. Don't be an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I don't think your attitude is the type that's going to help people. And I realize that not everyone can be helped, etc. But until proved otherwise I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt I guess. Maybe I truly am a sucker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Try the tease-the-bum-with-a-dollar trick, and then stomp on his dog.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:03 PM

I read the title and the first 6 words of your post.

Yes, you're a sucker. You've enabled a drug addict to get through another 6 hours. You're why they continue to stand on street corners harassing people.

The world sincerely thanks you.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:03 PM

delta, I help those that deserve help. Your benevolence is admirable. It just needs to be re-focused. A bum with a sign on the street corner isn't where you should be focusing.

But yeah, you're still a sucker. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 01:09 PM

Am I really that naive to think that people like that need/want help?

Honestly does everyone just write those people off as scum who deserve no help from others assuming that they are just horrible people? I really don't get it. Those people are the same ones able to go to the soup kitchen where I volunteer some nights or the dental clinic where I volunteer on others so why is it ok to help them in certain times/places/ways and not others? Are they so far removed from society and sanity that they can appreciate/understand a meal/ teeth cleaning but when given $ to improve their life they squander it? If they are only barely getting by through our time and material donations because they cannot be trusted with money to make their own decisions why don't we just get rid of all of them instead of convincing good natured individuals like myself that I'm somehow contributing or making an impact when I spend my time helping them?

[censored]
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never give cash for this reason. I do however very often offer to buy them something to eat. I am amazed that I am turned down at least 50% of the time.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM

I love giving the bums money who will do a cool trick for me. This kind of stuff might get old for a lot of you though, as I only come across bums maybe a few times a year.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I really that naive to think that people like that need/want help?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, seriously. It's far easier for them to make money standing on street corner, getting donations from suckers like you, than to get a real job.

Yes, they are lazy scum. Get it?

One reason we have a problem with illegal aliens is because there are jobs that these lazy, freeloading scum refuse to do. Why work? They have suckers like you handing them free cash, free meals, and free dental care. And you promote this? Now you're just being an idiot.