Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > DeucesCracked.com
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Why Limit?

Wow DD just got unleashed.

I was going to respond to that poster but it seems like he covered pretty much everything I was going to say and then some, so I'll offer up my .02 on the the topic.

I can't remember which 2+2 author said it, maybe Ed Miller but I don't wanna misquote anyone.

Anyway, they said that the profitability in NL vs Limit favor NL at the lower stakes but eventually inverse as you go up in stakes.

They didn't expound upon it but I personally think this is because NL is about forcing your opponent to make a few big mistakes in a session, whereas Limit profitability derives from forcing your opponents to make a lot of little mistakes. As you move up in stakes the overall skill of your opponent goes up as well. It becomes harder as you move up to goad opponents into making these big mistakes, and it requires more overall skill to convince them to do so.

That being said why do I play Limit as a small stakes player? Because that's where my head is at. I've put a lot of time into my limit game and I think that it is a little bit more profitable for ME to play my Limit game than to play NL while learning the ins and outs of the game.

You are going to want to learn limit eventually, and not just limit Hold'Em. Learn every game, pick one that works for you and run with it a while. When you get tired of that pick up a different one and learn that one while playing. It's amazing how much stuff crosses over, and how many "pitfalls" of each particular game you avoid by having just played a different one. That, at least for me, is one of the keys for keeping poker both fun AND profitable.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Limit sucks, I hate it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Since Nov 1st:

Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 AM

Limit is killing me, I can't take this anymore, the variance is brutal! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2007, 01:02 PM

So joe within like 2 weeks you have run @ 14.4bb/100, the sox win the ws, the pats basically have superbowl on lock (unless somebody goes "celtic pride" on them - don't tell me you don't own that on DVD), and KG and the gang has debuted.

It's all downhill from here. Sorry.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So joe within like 2 weeks you have run @ 14.4bb/100, the sox win the ws, the pats basically have superbowl on lock (unless somebody goes "celtic pride" on them - don't tell me you don't own that on DVD), and KG and the gang has debuted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe's baby is on the way next month, I'd say its all uphill IMHO.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess you didn't see the picture of me and Dice-K three weeks ago:

It kinda started there as the next day I was the Anaheim sweep game.

Oh, wait, maybe it started in September when this guy sat next to me on the plan back to Boston:

He wears a nice ring:

After October I've been prepared for a drop this is why limit is killing me, I know it'll end. ARGH! THE SUSPENSE!!

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 07:05 PM

And rumor has it that you get to spend a few hours tomorrow with one who drank from the cup!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM

Your November graph looks much different than mine.

At least it is positive. And I guess when you have multiple people at each table with VPIPS of 50+ your variance is going to be high. Also paid $600 in rake so far.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 PM

Ok, this sucks. It will end violently, I know it will! The suspense builds!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:10 PM

My main argument against limit is a lack of action!

Limit players seem to be dwindling, where as NL picks up new television fans all the time. The difference between 1 year ago and now is startling.

I am a player of both games