Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Notes?

Coming from Limit, PT and HUD gave me most of the informations I needed. Once in a while a note here and there, that was all. But now I write books on people I play more than once. Do you have any systems, like ratings on different topics for your notes or have them organiced somehow?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Notes?

I'm sure my note taking leaves a lot to be desired, but one of the things I've done that seems to have made them more useful is organize them street by steet as opposed to a unorganized jumbled mess of notes on everything.

In the past I'd have 12-20 notes on someone that I play regularly and they'd all just be captured in the order that I noted them in. I've started orgainizing them by play on a specific st. (pf/f/t/r) and also by specific hand (e.g., what lines have they taken with sets/combo-draws/etc.). It's easier than spending 15-20 seconds trying to reread everything I've got on someone, and I think it's made my notes more useful in the instances where I actually have a thorough collection of notes on a given player.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 PM

Like CLB, I try to organize mine but I do mine but topic.

I try to find out what sort of hands they will bet/call/raise with postflop and their postflop tendencies. I like to pick up some easy to exploit preflop tendencies as well. I tend to check and see how they react to raises. Do they limp-fold mostly or limp-call? If they call do they check-fold the flop a lot?

Although, the first thing I try to pick up on a player is whether he is good or not.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:58 PM

I basically only take notes on what hands they get into big pots with and the lines they take. I will also note if they slowplay a monster.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:28 AM

On a Poker Room skin where I played there was the option of putting a color on the villain - it was very quick to do. So I put green on fish, red on good players and yellow on "standard" players. It made it a lot easier when joining a table and was so quick to do that I regularly did it. Unfortunately I take much less notes these days, its just feels so awkward to start typing in the middle of the game. I do try to jot down something if I for instance see that someone pushes a made hand on a non threatening board.