Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 03:48 AM

Default playing TT from ep both ring and tourney

Ok, something that I've had on my mind a lot lately because I seem to be on a run of this hand. TT is in the I believe its the top 10% but yet pf oop you know there are going to be very few flops you are comfortable with so unless allin, should this be a hand ep that I play more for set value or should I keep raising it as a premium hand?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: playing TT from ep both ring and tourney

cash game id raise always

tournament it'd depend on ur stack and other ppl's stacks. if everyone is deep then it'd be similar to a ring game. if ur short then it's good enuff to push. if it's in the middle then i'd use ur judgement. u still don't open limp with it and 'set mine' though in a tourney. fold or raise.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:30 AM

i dont put much value in the hand. I usually limp with it or I will call a raise. I often misplay the hand if I call a raise with it preflop and low cards hit flop or someone slow plays aces. 10s and Js are probably the most tricky hands in poker bc they are so good but they are so bad. I have more success trying to set mine and making rational decisions from there.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:26 AM

There is not enough information in the OP to say more than "it depends."

6-max, raise.

FR, depends on stacks and players. Sometimes limp. Sometimes (usually) raise. But how much you raise might be variable depending on the kind of SPR you are interesting in building from EP. Sometimes a small raise looking to build a pot to either (1) make a "primed" pot if you flop a set and get action over your continuation bet, or (2) make a "primed pot" that you expect to take down with a cb a very high percentage of the time because most of the players behind you are fit or fold weak tightees. But in many games, if you do make a small raise and get lots of callers, you don't want to cb into a big field very often. So, if you miss your set, c/f is probably better than cb into 4 or 5 callers especially with 1 or 2 overcards on the flop. In other games, a "standard" raise (whatever is "standard" for you from EP) is probably best. In hyper aggressive games, limp/call might be best because you don't want to go all-in preflop, and you can't call for set value if you raise and get reraised from LP.

Short-stacking, raise or push.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:25 PM

saying ur lost postflop is no excuse for limping. u shouldn't really open limp IMO unless u play AA/AK/KK etc the same way utg and u (hopefully) shouldn't. if u open EP big pairs and limp any other pair how hard do u think u will be to read?

a lot of ppl r scared to raise 99/TT ep for fear they are forced to cbet into lots of people on bad boards. the simple answer is don't, especially in tournaments. the times u take down preflop, take down postflop on good boards or HU, plus the times u make a set, will more than compensate for the times u just c/f on the flop.

limp-calling with the intention of set mining is horrible IMO and is a sure way to make TT a money-loser. ur just hoping the flop comes big cards so u don't have to make a decision basically. i know u muck 22 utg so why would u not muck TT if ur going to turn it into 22? might as well fold then.

PS im assuming this is FR since tourneys r full ring generally.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 PM

I found this chart helpfull for this kinda Question
http://www.tworags.com/templates/fck...rdsflop(1).jpg