Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Headīs up against loose all-in maniac(?)

Hey. I'm pretty new to poker but picked up some books by Phil Gordon and such.

It got me pretty far in a homegame tournament.

Head's up with the last contender I was being killed though. My opponent kept setting me all-in or folding. Folding about 25% of the time, and setting me all-in about 75%. I was folding and waiting for the premium hand since she was taking so much risk, but we were each down to 7.5BB at this point and she was taking all my blinds. The total chips in play were 15BB. In the end I called an all-in and was busted out with a K-7 where I was holding Q-8s or something.

What's the optimal strategy to play a person like this?
Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Headīs up against loose all-in maniac(?)

push allin prflop in sb with any A, pair, two cards with paint, sueted conectors 78 or better, call allins with any A, or pair. In bb limp with monsters hands AJ and up.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 PM

There is a very optimal strategy for how to play Heads Up with not many BB's on the table. It is likely your opponent was using it on you. It is called "SAGE". Read this:

http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15250
Old 10-20-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
push all in pre flop with any A, pair, two cards with paint, suited connectors 78 or better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would also open shove with a whole wider range than this. Your opponent didn't need much of a hand to shove from what it looks like. Find a hand try to get all the chips in the middle as a favorite and hope to hold up or get lucky.[ QUOTE ]
call all ins with Ax, any PP, and any paint. In bb limp with monsters hands AJ and up.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the bold information isn't the best advice for this situation. Your opponent is gambling and you need to be open shoving or calling all-ins since you don't have the chips to fold every time.

Against a player like this you should push with all hands mentioned here and even open your range up a little bit.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:33 AM

That should say in SB not BB, so typo there, but the reason he should limp in sb with monsters is cause the agresive player will see that as weakness and may move allin preflop, and you would be the fav.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a very optimal strategy for how to play Heads Up with not many BB's on the table. It is likely your opponent was using it on you. It is called "SAGE". Read this:

http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15250

[/ QUOTE ]

good stuff