Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 08:29 AM

Default KQs

KQ diamonds in the BB, unknown limps in co, tag on btn raises, I 3bet, unknown calls, tag caps all call...

The flop is KA6 2tn

I bet out, limper folds, tag raises, I call.

Turn is an ace not completing the flush.

I check, tag bets, I call...

Riv is a 9.

I bet-fold.

Comments or criticisms? I was ready to dump on the turn except for the paired ace.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: KQs

Fold turn (you didn't have a FD?). You can't be sure of your outs.

BTN might be isolating the limper the first time around preflop but when he caps his range has to be narrowed down quite a bit. Then he raises your donk on the flop even though you showed pretty much strength preflop. Flop you can maybe peel for one.

River is bad. That river changed nothing, it isn't scary in the lightest. No one is folding anything better than you have. Never. Only hands that could fold are hands you beat anyway. Why call on turn if you're not planning to show this hand down?

Of course the turn pairing the A makes it less likely that the Villain has the A. His flop raise could be for a free card with a FD but I think he'd taken the free card as your preflop and flop play indicates some sort of a made hand.

EDIT: This hand looks like wa/wb situation especially after the limper folds.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:57 AM

I like the turn fold. I think it's probably irrational to peel just because now the board paired the top card, making his holding an ace more unlikely. But the river, once we get there, should either be a bet-fold or a check-fold. I don't see any worse hands betting but I could be wrong.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:00 AM

When you are called on the river, do you expect to be called by a worse hand more than 50% of the time? Are there hands you beat that could still bet the river if you check to them after having the lead on all previous streets?

EDIT: I agree that a river raise is very rarely going to be a bluff or worse hand than yours.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 AM

I don't think any worse hands bet the river in this case for the same reasons you suggest that he would probably check through the turn without a strong hand. On the river though, I expect to be called by any pair.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 AM

Hmm. You do make sense that's for sure. I'd need my Theory of Poker here, which I don't have at the moment, to check the sections on river play. I'll have to come back to this later - probably to see that somebody has already answered this.

I was so dead certain that leading the river would be bad and that checking it might still induce a bluff but I'm not so sure now. Thanks for forcing me to think it over.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 AM

Thank you too for the help. Finding a consensus certainly will point us in the right direction.

The hole in the logic I suppose is that we're analyzing the river in a vacuum when we say bet-fold is as much an option as check-fold. Because, if the turn was a fold, certainly the river is a c-fold too. It's hard to imagine TT betting here, for example, after we check.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 AM

why u donk flop?
to protect u hand i would c/r flop to kick out limper
and if button do 3bet i can see turn and fold UI with 2nd best hand
Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KQ diamonds in the BB, unknown limps in co, tag on btn raises, I 3bet, unknown calls, tag caps all call...

The flop is KA6 2tn

I bet out, limper folds, tag raises, I call.

Turn is an ace not completing the flush.

I check, tag bets, I call...

Riv is a 9.

I bet-fold.

Comments or criticisms? I was ready to dump on the turn except for the paired ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should have bet/folded the turn. It would have saved you a bet.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 AM

Why not check-fold the turn marchron?