Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-31-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: For Dissection....2008 Red Sox Roster........

[ QUOTE ]
WE just won a WS? Sorry, I didn't know you were an employee or team member of the Red Sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh shut up.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am going to go on the record and say I pray to god Lugo is back next year, he played awesome in the playoffs and was downright great on D in the postseason. I would be a happy guy if the IF stayed the exact same. Moving a GG caliber 1b in Youk to 3b is a disaster waiting to happen, he proved he isn't as good on D at 3b, granted his O fits better as a 3rd baseman but I still hate it. Also, for obvious reasons, keeping Papi off the field is huge for our long term success.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they should keep Lugo as well and they pretty much have to. Isn't Eckstein the only available FA SS? Are there any available options where BOS doesn't have to pay a lot of Lugo's salary? Plus, Lugo will almost have to be better on offense next year (right?).

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Craig,

I threw that roster out there to generate some discussion, and it did.

In a number of my posts in this thread, I repeatedly said that I am NOT advocating that the Sox go in this direction, just that there was a possibility that something like this could happen given the current goings on in the market.

Now…..I would like to state my own personal opinions and preferences.

I personally LIKE Lugo at short, and would not want to see him go. I think that he has been unfairly downgraded defensively and although he is certainly not the best fielding SS in the league, he is NOT a detriment to them in the field.

I personally GREATLY hope that they will re-sign Lowell, as I like the infield just as it is, TYVM.

I personally happen to like Crisp very much; his late season funk at the plate notwithstanding. But, how can anyone ignore the potential of Ellsbury. I am at a loss as to how to resolve the current outfield situation given that? I guess the Sox could wait for Manny’s contract to expire after 08, but is that the best move? And, they’re locked into Drew whether we like it or not.

I personally ABHORR the thought of A-Rod as a member of the Red Sox, even though he may go down as the greatest ballplayer of his time and one of the greatest of all times. I would be the first to acknowledge that I am very conflicted about the positives of A-Rod’s historical production vs. my gut screaming at me that he is an albatross.

Now, I’m not saying I’m right about any of the above…..but for the record, I’m saying that this is my OPINION.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM

Resigning Lowell would be a horrible decision and I doubt Theo is dumb enough to do it unless he gets a big discount (highly unlikely)

Ellsbury doesn't really have any potential, he is what he is. Ellsbury/Crisp/Drew is fine, Youk to 3B, Ortiz to 1B, etc. etc. so super standard and you don't have to overpay Lowell by 2-3 years and ~5 million a year and only have to trade Crisp if an amazing offer comes along.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the Sox could wait for Manny’s contract to expire after 08, but is that the best move? And, they’re locked into Drew whether we like it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are in good shape by the trade deadline or have a chance to make the post-season they would probably keep him. If it doesn't look like they are going to make the playoffs then they would probably try to move him. I am guessing that post-season revenues and two draft picks is better than no post-season and whatever they would get if they moved Manny (plus they would still probably have to pay). Plus, unless Manny is sucking real bad, I cannot imagine them moving him mid-season if they have a chance for the post-season. If he isn't moved this off season, then he will be there all year.

He definitely did not have a good year last year (for Manny), but his 2B (which are undervalued) was in line with his previous years (and about 100 less PA than usual), HR were down, OBP was down from his average, but not by enough to make it statistically meaningful, and there is the possibility that he was hurt before he was 'officially hurt.' PECOTA had him for 33 HR in 2007 and 31 HR in 2008 (2B, OBP, and BA were right in line with 2007 and the 2008 PECOTA is about the same for 2007).

Old 10-31-2007, 08:38 PM

I'll set these odds:

10% chance we re-sign Lowell, that 10% has nothing to do with what Boston offers, we WILL be lower then other people, it all comes down to if he wants to stay here, Theo isn't giving him the years other teams will either so its already in his court

5% chance we sign A-Rod. It just doesn't make much sense at this point, but it's fun to dream.

50% chance Schilling is back for one last year for the Sox, if he wins another WS here he seals up a HoF bid and that's important for him, especially his giant ego. Also where else is he going to get a chance to get as many wins with a 4.5+ ERA as in Boston?

1B Options if we move Youk to 3b
Mike Lamb, Sean Casey, Mark Sweeney
(All would be cheap and serviceable as either a platoon with Papi or backups)

3B options if we leave Youk at 1b and Lowell leaves
Not much here, Branyan, Cirillo, Feliz, Hatteberg
(This is the exact reason why we probably won't resign Lowell, he is hitting the market at a great time)
Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 PM

if lowell leaves and we don't get a-rod i would consider it a virtual lock that youk plays 3B. papi likely to platoon at 1B as well.

rumor right now is the sox want schill to take a pay cut and sign a lower base deal with lots of incentives. makes sense to me, he has looked like he is running on fumes lately. i'd be absolutely shocked to see him make 25 starts next year.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 PM

I don't think there's any chance Ortiz plays more than 20 games at first base.

Youkilis may move to third base. But if that happens, we'll sign a free agent first basemen even if it's just a one year deal.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:12 AM

My balls made a post in the Yankee thread just to show off the trophy.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1B Options if we move Youk to 3b
Mike Lamb, Sean Casey, Mark Sweeney
(All would be cheap and serviceable as either a platoon with Papi or backups)

3B options if we leave Youk at 1b and Lowell leaves
Not much here, Branyan, Cirillo, Feliz, Hatteberg
(This is the exact reason why we probably won't resign Lowell, he is hitting the market at a great time)

[/ QUOTE ]
teams give away decent corner IF all the time. it wont be tough to get one to replace lowell

i'd like to see the sox grab dan johnson
Old 11-01-2007, 02:39 AM

Note that Lowell DID NOT file for FA today. Not that he won't, but he hasn't yet, which must be a good sign. For those that missed it, I think the whole list is Clement, Gagne, Kielty, and Schill (maybe leaving somebody out).

Also, heard a rumor today that Gabe Kapler may be back to play a backup role next year, too.