Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: For Dissection....2008 Red Sox Roster........

youk is a decent enough defensive 3B, having him there and papi at 1B is definitely an overall lineup upgrade if they can't bring back lowell. take a hit on defense but i don't see how you can get a better offense on the field with what's out there. it's really a question of how papi's knee holds up.

also +1 on lugo and i have absolutely no reason to doubt he will be around next year. if he has a really bad first half you might see lowrie get a shot as early as 2008, but i think it's likely you see another full season of lugo.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 PM

In 118 total G at 3B BP's rate stats have Youk through the roof.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In 118 total G at 3B BP's rate stats have Youk through the roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

i had always remembered him as a good defensive 3B, i don't know why i believed anyone saying otherwise
Old 10-31-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to go on the record and say I pray to god Lugo is back next year, he played awesome in the playoffs and was downright great on D in the postseason. I would be a happy guy if the IF stayed the exact same. Moving a GG caliber 1b in Youk to 3b is a disaster waiting to happen, he proved he isn't as good on D at 3b, granted his O fits better as a 3rd baseman but I still hate it. Also, for obvious reasons, keeping Papi off the field is huge for our long term success.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they should keep Lugo as well and they pretty much have to. Isn't Eckstein the only available FA SS? Are there any available options where BOS doesn't have to pay a lot of Lugo's salary? Plus, Lugo will almost have to be better on offense next year (right?).

craig
Old 10-31-2007, 07:54 PM

lugo was much better in the 2nd half and playoffs, and his fielding seemed to improve as well. i think the next red sox SS after lugo is going to come from within the system, unless they move lowrie for some stud.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: For Dissection....2008 Red Sox Roster........ *DELETED*

Post deleted by craig
Old 10-31-2007, 08:01 PM

it depends on if they have lowell or not. if lowell is back i think you're much less likely to see ortiz at 1B, obv.

i'm not sure ortiz wants to play 1B, if he does play it i think it would be in a platoon role.

without lowell, the question is whether you want to have hinske or whoever else get 400 at-bats at 3B.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM

What's the consensus on Lowrie? His minor league numbers last year (.298/.393/.503) were pretty good and I don't see why there isn't more hype surrounding him. Is his defense not good enough for SS at the Major league level? Because if not, I think they should definitely give him a shot next year at some point. Lugo was pretty awful during the regular season and I don't know if his defense is good enough to make up for another 570 ABs of 65 OPS+.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it depends on if they have lowell or not. if lowell is back i think you're much less likely to see ortiz at 1B, obv.

i'm not sure ortiz wants to play 1B, if he does play it i think it would be in a platoon role.

without lowell, the question is whether you want to have hinske or whoever else get 400 at-bats at 3B.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to go ahead and delete my post. In my first scenario Lowell is there and in the second Lowell obviously wasn't. My question was muy stupido.

craig
Old 10-31-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the consensus on Lowrie? His minor league numbers last year (.298/.393/.503) were pretty good and I don't see why there isn't more hype surrounding him. Is his defense not good enough for SS at the Major league level? Because if not, I think they should definitely give him a shot next year at some point. Lugo was pretty awful during the regular season and I don't know if his defense is good enough to make up for another 570 ABs of 65 OPS+.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i've heard is that his defense is very suspect, but i don't have any firsthand info, mostly just rumblings from SoSH and stuff.

also people were so busy losing their [censored] over ellsbury and buchholz they lost track of him.