Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: For Dissection....2008 Red Sox Roster........

[ QUOTE ]
I disgaree, I think Bos can use A-Rod. Manny's gone after a year and A-Rod can replace him well. Epstein is good enough at developing young players and finding good cheap buys in the FA market but has struggled a bit in signing star players. A-Rod fits that bill, fills a need, is a better value than what I think Lowell will get, and Epstein's good enough to make up the $$ in other aras.

It would also make Bos the dominating best team for the next 4-5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is better value than Lowell over the next 3 years, but is it better value than Lowell the next 3 years and his replacement(s) for another 7 years (assuming A-rod gets 10 years)? If BOS makes the playoffs 3 out of 5 of the next years without A-Rod would paying for A-Rod in order to make 4 out of 5 (or 5 out of 5) be worth it, (I don't know how much more revenue a playoff spot generates)? Also, A-Rod in the playoffs sucks, so BOS wouldn't even want him on the roster.

craig
Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I disgaree, I think Bos can use A-Rod. Manny's gone after a year and A-Rod can replace him well. Epstein is good enough at developing young players and finding good cheap buys in the FA market but has struggled a bit in signing star players. A-Rod fits that bill, fills a need, is a better value than what I think Lowell will get, and Epstein's good enough to make up the $$ in other aras.

It would also make Bos the dominating best team for the next 4-5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is better value than Lowell over the next 3 years, but is it better value than Lowell the next 3 years and his replacement(s) for another 7 years (assuming A-rod gets 10 years)? If BOS makes the playoffs 3 out of 5 of the next years, would going 4/5 or 5/5 produce enough value for A-Rod?

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

For the sake of clarity, this scenario is one that has both Lowell and A-Rod on the Sox.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the sake of clarity, this scenario is one that has both Lowell and A-Rod on the Sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is Lowell going to play?

craig
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 PM

A-Rod is huge for the local TV station, NESN would gain a lot from having him, especially having the eventual HR champ wearing your uniform would help as well money wise. So essentially the 300m/10 yrs figure is misleading much like the contract of Dice K was, as the team who scores A-Rod gains a lot long term with merchandising and TV deals.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is Lowell going to play?

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should review the starting line-up that I posted (with positions) a bit more closely before you jump to any more conclusions?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should review the starting line-up that I posted (with positions) a bit more closely before you jump to any more conclusions?

[/ QUOTE ]

So me asking a question, because I had forgotten about your lineup, is jumping to conclusions? I am pretty certain that me making an assumption is jumping to conclusions. Another example: 'That lineup must have been given 5 minutes of thought'

craig
Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 PM

myrtle, you seriously need to think critically about these possibilities you are putting out there, you are spouting utter nonsense.

sox resign lowell AND get a-rod... and do what, exactly, with lugo? oh right, same thing they'll do with manny... dump him for 'prospects.' and probably end up eating half his salary. sounds great.

in the extremely unlikely scenario that they do get a-rod, they don't need to waive manny to do so. what they WOULD do is let mike lowell walk since he is going to get a way bigger deal than they should give him. the odds that both mike lowell and a-rod are on the sox next year are somewhere in the million-to-one ballpark, and that's being generous.

why manny would end up in new york is totally beyond me. yeah he's from wash heights (represent!) but the yankees don't let you wear dreadlocks, or bring your bath toys to left field with you, or take a piss in the middle of an inning, or do any of the other manny-being-manny crap. they also already have about seven over-the-hill outfielders and four DHs, so unless you think he's going to pitch i don't see what they're going to do with him.

lester's USPIDE is around a #3 starter, but if you are projecting him to be better than buchholz next year, or possibly even schilling / wake, you're high. he hasn't come close to pitching a full season, which is important with a developing young arm, and pretty much all his peripheral stats point to him running sick hot so far. i love the kid and i think he's going to be a good pitcher, but he's not a top-3 SP on the sox next year.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 PM

I think the Red Sox also are going to need a very good bat to bring off the bench. I think over the next few years Ortiz is not going to be averaging 150 games a year.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod is huge for the local TV station, NESN would gain a lot from having him, especially having the eventual HR champ wearing your uniform would help as well money wise. So essentially the 300m/10 yrs figure is misleading much like the contract of Dice K was, as the team who scores A-Rod gains a lot long term with merchandising and TV deals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I for some reason was being very short sighted thinking that A-Rod would be playing 3B or 1B. I somehow didn't even think about him as DH later on (Totally brain fart on my part). I don't know how much more value this brings, but definitely wasn't in any of my considerations.

craig
Old 10-30-2007, 11:20 PM

i still like my idea of moving him to 1B until papi is gone, let youk play third.