Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 PM

Default NLTRN Low Level Theory-Type Situation

This isn't a specific hand, just a situation that I thought up.

For simplification sake we will assume this is a regular speed 10+.50 HU SNG.

The first few hands from the sb you have raise-worthy hands, you raise with them, opponent folds.

You then raise every single small blind for the first ten hands. He folds every time.

Of opponent's small blind hands he has open folded 5 of them, he has limped the other 5. Of those 5 limped hands you have open bet 2x and defended to 4x preflop once and he has folded each of those. You have checked and he has bet the other 2x on scarier boards. You folded those two times.

Stacks are something like 1750-1250. Levels just went up to 15-30 when this hand happens (Hand 21).

You are in the sb with 9c6c.
You raise 3x to 90.
He calls your raise.

The flop comes 952.
He checks.

What do you do and what is your plan for the rest of this hand?

If the board being a 2 suited board or a rainbow has anything to do with your decision then state the different decisions and why.

Assume for this hand you do not have a flush draw.

What if the turn comes (regardless of your decision) and is a Jack? What about a 4?

If you're a higher level player and you think this is too easy of a question or situation please refrain from posting right away, this is more of a lower level player question I believe and might be a leak for some and provide insightful discussion.

If I forgot some information then let me know, but you have never played this opponent before.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: NLTRN Low Level Theory-Type Situation

This is really hard to read, maybe just post the hand with some questions.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 PM

What's hard to read about it? I spaced out each statement so it is easier to read and I think I was clear about everything in the hand.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of opponent's small blind hands he has open folded 5 of them, he has limped the other 5. Of those 5 limped hands you have open bet 2x and defended to 4x preflop once and he has folded each of those. You have checked and he has bet the other 2x on scarier boards. You folded those two times.

[/ QUOTE ]
This in particular is confusing, you didnt convert it or use suit symbols and your asking a pretty general question about the line for the hand, maybe try asking some more specific questions.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 PM

That is background. This isn't a hand that has happened to me, it is a situation I think a lot of lower level players have leaks in.

You have raised every SB and he has folded everytime. This represents 10 such occasions so far.

He has open folded 5 of the 10 times he has been the sb himself. Of the 5 that he DID NOT fold, he open limped all of them. Of these 5 that he open limped, you have defended once, and he has folded. You have checked the other 4. He has won two of these on scary boards where you have checked, you have bet and he has folded the other two.

It is background information about this villian. I am just showing what happened in the first 20 hands of this match.

I just don't like some HH where people say "he's played weak/tight" or "he's played very aggressive." I think a lot of times if we had looked at the actual background HH we would see reads that OPs did not originally pickup. I feel the same way about my hands and I like to see HHs moreso than single hands in most cases.

I felt that I summarized the first 20 hands in as small and as clear amount of time to give everybody an accurate background of what has happened so they can make the decision with as much information as possible.

I added several different scenario questions at the end because I think some of the answers are harder than others and I feel that if everyone agrees on one action on the flop for example, we might disagree on another decision based on an overcard on the turn or an undercard.

What more specific questions do you want me to ask? I gave all prior hand info, I want to know what your flop decision is, and after that if the turn is a J or a 4 what is your decision on the turn? I feel that getting more specific will take away the value I thought this situation had in posting it. I may be wrong though.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 PM

Seems like a good idea to bet this flop like 95% and check most turns given read on villain. Flush draw would probably make me more inclined to bet the turn as villain is more likely to have a hand we beat and is not the type of villain that would c/r the turn with a flush draw in this spot and will probably make our river decision very easy.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:12 PM

Ry you gotta understand people on this forum crave a 10 second read where they can just say INSTAFOLD / CALL, throw a couple of insults, and feel good that they can make tough decisions in 0.5 seconds. They don't notice that these decisions are all Level 1, "k thx I learned that in my first week of playing poker" material. When a post or a reply goes beyond Level 1, its either ignored(due to laziness) or dismissed as wrong b.c. it doesn't conform to level 1 logic. The most popular posts in terms of replies by far are "Should I check AK on a K54 flop" - with 2736373 1 line replies calling OP an idiot.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a good idea to bet this flop like 95% and check most turns given read on villain. Flush draw would probably make me more inclined to bet the turn as villain is more likely to have a hand we beat and is not the type of villain that would c/r the turn with a flush draw in this spot and will probably make our river decision very easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time how much do you bet on the flop?

Turn is an undercard, he leads, what do you do?

Turn is an overcard, he leads, what do you do?

If the turn is check/check what do you do if he leads the river? c/raises the river (to keep it simple I think we can use undercard for under 9 or overcard for over 9 for each situation)?

[ QUOTE ]
Ry you gotta understand people on this forum crave a 10 second read where they can just say INSTAFOLD / CALL, throw a couple of insults, and feel good that they can make tough decisions in 0.5 seconds. They don't notice that these decisions are all Level 1, "k thx I learned that in my first week of playing poker" material. When a post or a reply goes beyond Level 1, its either ignored(due to laziness) or dismissed as wrong b.c. it doesn't conform to level 1 logic. The most popular posts in terms of replies by far are "Should I check AK on a K54 flop" - with 2736373 1 line replies calling OP an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the encouragement. Your thoughts on this situation?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.Most of the time how much do you bet on the flop?

2.Turn is an undercard, he leads, what do you do?

3.Turn is an overcard, he leads, what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. 3/4 Pot
2. If he bets over 1/2 pot I fold
3. Same as 2
Old 03-25-2007, 11:03 PM

So basically you're betting the flop so hands like AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ will be a lot less likely to lead the turn?

Do you think this is a good play given that we're up against an overpair so often? That we're probably losing about 25% of the time he doesn't have an overpair?