Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 AM

Default how\'s my line - QQ vs tough lag

Villain was 33/15/4 and was up big (2-4) buy-ins on two of my tables. Called a lot of hands in blinds against steals, and usually would stick around for a cbet too. Very aggressive on turn and river.
Plan was to call his raise and get him to bet turn so I could call or push, but when the J paired I felt like it helped too many of his hands.
Seemed like a solid player/reader.

Any thoughts?
Opponent's range?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (4 handed) Ultimate Bet Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($441)
BB ($122.85)
Hero ($122.10)
Button ($104.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $3.50, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($12) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $36</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $28.

Turn: ($84) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $84</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $84

thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Re: how\'s my line - QQ vs tough lag

Also, after hand he made some comments about it was too easy, ect. No talk between us beforehand. I guess he was trying to brag that he had bluffed me? Not sure if it means he did or if he would say that b/c he had a hand, so I just disregarded it...
Old 12-01-2007, 06:34 AM

You gotta shove the flop here if he's playing loose, you don't want spades/middle straightening cards/overs getting there against a guy with a huge range that will make it hard on you on the turn.

Is he aggressive with his bluffs/semibluffs as much as he is with his monsters? That's important, as you might question as to why he would play turned trips that hard on the turn, and especially a set turned boat. So in the future, punish these guys on the flop if you're worried about being outplayed/playing big pots with marginal hands post-flop.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 AM

I think just calling the flop is fine, on the condition that you don't give up now. I'd call his turn shove, granted, he has trips sometimes, but imo guys like this have lower pairs/flush draws enough to make a call here +EV. You only need to be good 33% of the time. From your description it sounds to me like you could expect him to fire 100% of his range on the turn.

Although from his post-hand chat, I'd say you were behind.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You gotta shove the flop here if he's playing loose, you don't want spades/middle straightening cards/overs getting there against a guy with a huge range that will make it hard on you on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a huge range, and he will fire most of it, surely calling flop/calling all-in on turn is much better than shoving the flop?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:39 AM

if hes been playing very aggro im all for getting it in on the flop... post flop i think you have to get it in on the turn the bets just too big most of his ch/r flop range is single draws combo draws... very sick line with a jack, so his range on turn is down to set, draws which missed, and bluff and the bet just looks bluffy... stack off
Old 12-01-2007, 07:03 AM

he's shoving his entire range on the turn.
wristsnapcall

Oh, and I hate shoving over his flop checkraise.