Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-01-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Case in Point...

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure about this? Don't you follow the God of Abraham? I thought giving away one's daughter was pretty routine in the biblical days.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bible's rife with this stuff. Ownership of women goes without saying. And when the Isrealites were done genociding, they took the leftover girls and made sex slaves out of them. Even Jesus is pretty clear that women are supposed to obey men. In general Jesus was pretty much against slavery, but his words could easily be interpreted to support it. Hell, it's easier to interpret Jesus as supporting slavery than it is to support Jesus as the compassionate messenger of a loving God.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> We can’t “own women”. What are the rules of atheism? </font>

No, but you can stone her to death on her doorstep upon learning she's not a virgin before you marry her.

Are you sure about this? Don't you follow the God of Abraham? I thought giving away one's daughter was pretty routine in the biblical days.

[/ QUOTE ]

The good ol’ days. Now we have political correctness.

Anyway, my wife owns me and no one is coming to my rescue.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! But seriously... How do you reconcile your current beliefs with such a passage? How do you think, "Well, that's BS, but this part is not,"?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you&amp;#8217;ve been reading Farenheit 451.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, censorship is cool. That's what I'm always saying.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For they have been swayed away from their true calling by Allah, blessed be his name, and lead them straight into the arms of the dessert demons.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite kind of demons. Uh, not that I traffic with them. All that whipped cream in my fridge is for, um, unrelated purposes.

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar...
Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL!! But seriously... How do you reconcile your current beliefs with such a passage? How do you think, "Well, that's BS, but this part is not,"?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the New Covenant. See, it used to be that murder and rape and stuff were cool. But God changed his mind. And if those morons are dumb enough to take God at his word? Well, gee. They should know that God changed his mind. Hope they enjoy the eternal barbecue. Along with us hedonistic devils with the good looks, right?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I'm being serious. Surely you've seen the posts by theists wanting to know where we atheists derive our morality from. They claim it's impossible without the bible. Why don't we just rape, pillage, and plunder? How can we live without the bible to guide us in morality?

Now you come along and claim to get your morality from the bible, yet you are using your own morality to judge the very book you claim to be getting your morality from!

Doesn't this strike you as circular, if not inconsistent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Morality is not impossible without the Bible. Absolute morality is impossible without an Absolute Standard. Followers of religions such as Christianity and Islam use the Bible and the Koran as their reference to try to figure out that standard.

Does that answer your question?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For they have been swayed away from their true calling by Allah, blessed be his name, and lead them straight into the arms of the dessert demons.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite kind of demons. Uh, not that I traffic with them. All that whipped cream in my fridge is for, um, unrelated purposes.

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar...

[/ QUOTE ]

"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance):... "
The Book of Women 4.34
Translated by A. Yusufali

"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments.... "
The Book of Light 24:31
A. Yusufali

"As for those of your women who are guilty of lewdness, call to witness four of you against them. And if they testify (to the truth of the allegation) then confine them to the houses until death take them or (until) Allah appoint for them a way (through new legislation)."
The Book of Women 4:15
M.M. Pickthall
Old 12-01-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bible's rife with this stuff. Ownership of women goes without saying. And when the Isrealites were done genociding, they took the leftover girls and made sex slaves out of them. Even Jesus is pretty clear that women are supposed to obey men. In general Jesus was pretty much against slavery, but his words could easily be interpreted to support it. Hell, it's easier to interpret Jesus as supporting slavery than it is to support Jesus as the compassionate messenger of a loving God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet, he feels inadequate to opine on the Koran?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I'm being serious. Surely you've seen the posts by theists wanting to know where we atheists derive our morality from. They claim it's impossible without the bible. Why don't we just rape, pillage, and plunder? How can we live without the bible to guide us in morality?

Now you come along and claim to get your morality from the bible, yet you are using your own morality to judge the very book you claim to be getting your morality from!

Doesn't this strike you as circular, if not inconsistent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Morality is not impossible without the Bible. Absolute morality is impossible without an Absolute Standard. Followers of religions such as Christianity and Islam use the Bible and the Koran as their reference to try to figure out that standard.

Does that answer your question?

[/ QUOTE ]

And when they get stuck they compare this version of an absolute standard to their own morality? No it doesnt answer the question, we're right back at the start.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet, he feels inadequate to opine on the Koran?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying he is not up to the task of opining on the Bible? What specifically do you take issue with?