Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Party Poker Hand Reviewer - Alpha Test

Over in small Micro-Limit land we have been doing a lot of session review swaps. It's sort of a pain in the butt.

1. you have to do a lot of search and replace if you want to "Wash" your history files.
2. You have to open at least two programs to see the hands play out and make notes.
3. formatting the notes back to your partner is time consuming.

I have whipped out a program that is meant to make this less painful. Currently it only works on Party session files.

Requires the DotNet 2.0 framework

I have applied to SorceForge for a place to put this project. In the mean time you can get a copy here.

HandReview.zip

PM me if you want the source in the mean time.

See readme for more information.

-D
Old 03-17-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Hand Reviewer - Alpha Test

Saint,
I'm a software developer as well. Please post up when you've got it on SourceForge, i'd be happy to pitch in and expand this.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:39 PM

Screenie:
Old 03-17-2006, 06:18 PM

Saint,

Looks like a great start. Already PM'd you regarding the source. Here is what I have found in my 15 minute browse so far.

Bugs:
1. When the hand ends early (ie no turn or river), the tool lets you continue through a blank turn and river and then gives you the results. Doesn't really break anything, but should stop at the street the hand stops at.

2. Looking through your example HH, the parser seems to be a bit off. There is never a player on the button. The player who is really OTB is identified as CO and the player to his/her left as SB.

Feature requests (already.. I know [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
1. At the start of the flop, turn, and river, it would be nice to see the pot size (SB for flop, BB for turn and river) to help calculate odds and that street's decision.
2. It may be helpful to also track where in the session you are. If I upload 100 hands, you could have somewhere Hand xx/100 or hand xx of 100, etc. This may be just as helpful as having the real hand number.
3. If I decide to "wash" a HH, let the user select the player to be Hero (I'm sure this is already on your list).

More to come.

BTW, what are your plans for other site support besides party? I understand that keeping up with changes to HHs is difficult at best. What about supporting a "common" format to upload? This HH Converter is pretty decent and seems to be more and more commonly used. I know you have no control of how he converts hands, but it may help with supporting multiple sites if you were to try and use his 2p2 or FTP outputs? That site also converts multiple ands so it may be a good fit.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bugs:
1. When the hand ends early (ie no turn or river), the tool lets you continue through a blank turn and river and then gives you the results. Doesn't really break anything, but should stop at the street the hand stops at.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I know about. I am not sure how I want to handle it, and at what layer.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Looking through your example HH, the parser seems to be a bit off. There is never a player on the button. The player who is really OTB is identified as CO and the player to his/her left as SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] My technique for labeling players is faulty. I don't see anything obvious in the code. It does get the blinds right at least. I need to step through the code or come up with a new approach. The approach I have is broken for less than 5 players anyway.

[ QUOTE ]

Feature requests (already.. I know [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
1. At the start of the flop, turn, and river, it would be nice to see the pot size (SB for flop, BB for turn and river) to help calculate odds and that street's decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already on the list. Once again, not sure which layer it belongs in.

[ QUOTE ]

2. It may be helpful to also track where in the session you are. If I upload 100 hands, you could have somewhere Hand xx/100 or hand xx of 100, etc. This may be just as helpful as having the real hand number.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get a visual reference on the left hand side, but you have a point that it is pretty rough. I will keep this in mind. Not sure where the best place to display it is.

[ QUOTE ]

3. If I decide to "wash" a HH, let the user select the player to be Hero (I'm sure this is already on your list).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, Actually I was pretty happy with the auto-detection of the hero. Why is picking from a list better?

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, what are your plans for other site support besides party? I understand that keeping up with changes to HHs is difficult at best. What about supporting a "common" format to upload? This HH Converter is pretty decent and seems to be more and more commonly used. I know you have no control of how he converts hands, but it may help with supporting multiple sites if you were to try and use his 2p2 or FTP outputs? That site also converts multiple ands so it may be a good fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might look at it. For some work-related reasons, all the code in this project my be original or under a set of very few, very liberal licenses. Also, I don't want the application to use the internet at all. I want people to be able to set deny it access to the internet and still have it work. (lots of people rely on that for stuff that touches thier poker stuff, and I don't blame them.)

The parser module is seperate from the display level. I need to go back and define a parser interface so I can add more parsers. But I know exactly how that will look and work. The parser architecture I have is a good blue print for cranking out more.

I did consider for a while creating parsers that would create a "neutral" XML format for hands. But it's more work than I wanted to deal with at first. With the parser I have, I could write a module on top that would XML the hands neatly. Sort of like I RTF them now.

I am hoping to solve some of the history file format churn problem by making this a sourceforge project. Then whomever is feeling the pain can provide the fix or at least log a bug and provide sample hands.

Another thing on the list is an RTF to 2p2 format converter. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-D
Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 PM

Zip file updated with "button" fix. The button seems to be showing up correctly now.

Please let me know if the hands sequence is right. This is my chart for 2 handed to 10 handed. Is it right?

{"button", "bb"}, // is this always true?
{"button", "sb", "bb"},
{"button", "sb", "bb", "UTG"},
{"button", "sb", "bb", "UTG", "cutoff"},
{"button", "sb", "bb", "UTG", "hijack", "cutoff"},
{"button", "sb", "bb", "UTG", "UTG"+"1", "hijack", "cutoff"},
{"button", "sb", "bb", "UTG", "UTG"+"1", "mp1", "hijack", "cutoff"},
{"button", "sb", "bb", "UTG", "UTG"+"1", "mp1", "mp2", "hijack", "cutoff"},
{"button", "sb", "bb", "UTG", "UTG"+"1", "mp1", "mp2", "mp3", "hijack", "cutoff"}
Old 03-18-2006, 09:23 AM

OK, first thing right off the bat, need to redo that form so that the controls actually resize. One of my biggest pet peeves is non-resizable forms. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Everytime I find a program at work that doesn't resize I have to resist the urge to track down the engineer and slap them silly, and yes, I'm an engineer myself.

Once you get your sourceforge project up and running I can take a look at some of the form stuff if you like, I'm also curious if you are using RegEx for the file parsing?
Old 03-18-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, first thing right off the bat, need to redo that form so that the controls actually resize. One of my biggest pet peeves is non-resizable forms. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Everytime I find a program at work that doesn't resize I have to resist the urge to track down the engineer and slap them silly, and yes, I'm an engineer myself.

Once you get your sourceforge project up and running I can take a look at some of the form stuff if you like, I'm also curious if you are using RegEx for the file parsing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Resizable is on my list of things to do. Really the IDE should handle that by Default IMHO.

I use Regex liberally in the parser. I was a Perl programmer for years, so it's like a second language to me.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:54 PM

button, sb, bb, UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2, MP1, MP2, MP3, CO is more standard, I think.

The button is on the SB when heads up.

-Tom
Old 03-21-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
button, sb, bb, UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2, MP1, MP2, MP3, CO is more standard, I think.

The button is on the SB when heads up.

-Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

HU blinds depend on the house. At Party, they use the Button-Small-Big tradition, which puts the Big on the button.

Also, the "names" like UTG, CO, MP, are not strong conventions. They vary from author to author, and site to site. I stick with OTB (off the button) notation. I.e., for 8 players dealt in,
S, B, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, D.