Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 PM

Default Re: is living in the USA overrated

I think it depends on the person.

In other first world countries you pay a lot more taxes than in the US but you get a lot more in return. There are laws that restrict work hours and protect vacation time. If you feel you are overworked and miserable you would probably be a lot happier in another country.

On the flip side, in the US, you pay a lot less in taxes. You are much more free to keep your own wages and do whatever you want with them. You have much more economic freedom in the US. If you are the type that enjoys working hard and making yourself then the US is probably the best place.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best country in the world.

c) education

There are tons more, those are the main three.

[/ QUOTE ]

for our economic resources i think we do a poor job on education. think of the categories swede outlined and most of those countries in that category outperform the US.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

c) education

[/ QUOTE ]

for our economic resources i think we do a poor job on education. think of the categories swede outlined and most of those countries in that category outperform the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US probably has the best university-level education. Safe to say we don't have the best primary and secondary education.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:05 PM

What personal liberties?

Are people seriously this selfish? If I was to tell you the feds are allowed to CHOOSE (most likely wont, unless you show signs of terrorist activities) to listen in on your phone convo and it will save thousands of lives, you would say no?

Guess what, lets say the instructor from the flying school, called the feds in 2001 telling them one of his students is not interested in learning to take off or land. What can the feds do other then jot it down? It happens today the guy is immediatly arrested and investigated.

Who knows how much terrorism has been prevented through the Pat act, you dont hear about that.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:07 PM

If you don't like your hours, vacation, etc, in the US, you quit your job and get another. Those "stuck" in a crappy job have no one to blame but themselves.

I'm glad I live in the US, but I doubt my life would be too different if I was born in any other wealthy country(Canada, Australia, much of Europe, UK, etc). There are alot of things I don't like about the US & it's government, but I'm sure I'd have just as many if not more complaints about any other country I would consider living in.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

c) education

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The US probably has the best university-level education. Safe to say we don't have the best primary and secondary education.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, i was getting at the university level... shouldve made it clearer.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:09 PM

The one thing that has always made me crazy about the U S of A is that a lot of residents seem to think it is the only free country in the world. Look it up, it isn't. Other than that, I love you guys. Thanks for HBO and McDonalds.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What personal liberties?

Are people seriously this selfish? If I was to tell you the feds are allowed to CHOOSE (most likely wont, unless you show signs of terrorist activities) to listen in on your phone convo and it will save thousands of lives, you would say no?

Guess what, lets say the instructor from the flying school, called the feds in 2001 telling them one of his students is not interested in learning to take off or land. What can the feds do other then jot it down? It happens today the guy is immediatly arrested and investigated.

Who knows how much terrorism has been prevented through the Pat act, you dont hear about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shockling level of naivety shown in the above statment. Living in the USA is slightly overrated by the majority of Americans stemming from the lack the average citizens knowledge about the world outside the borders. That being said its probally still the best option.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What personal liberties?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shockling level of naivety shown in the above statment. Living in the USA is slightly overrated by the majority of Americans stemming from the lack the average citizens knowledge about the world outside the borders. That being said its probally still the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you can say that without knowing my personal history such as me not being born in the USA.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Funny you can say that without knowing my personal history such as me not being born in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

what does where you were born enter into this conversation? either you believe it or you dont.