Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Help a limit newbie...a few hands

Hello forum -

I come from the SSNL forum - NL 50 (6 max) is my regular game of choice. I've played very little small stakes limit in the past (~300 hands), usually as a change of pace. I played a quick session earlier today, and was hoping I could get some feedback on a few hands that came up. All three of these are probably very basic, but any comments and advice would be appreciated.

No real reads on anybody...typical players I guess.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $23.25
Button: $45
Hero: $30
BB: $49.88

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (11BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: 11BB

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $16.75
UTG+1: $26.35
CO: $9.38
Button: $26.25
Hero: $38.50
BB: $38.25

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 3 folds, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#cc3333">Hero Caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (12SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#cc3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc3333">BB Caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (12BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (15BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 18BB
Old 03-26-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Help a limit newbie...a few hands

Hand 1, Big Blind is capable of folding it looks like, so I'd muck 33. As played, I'd probably C/R the flop and lead the turn. That may be too aggressive w/ such a strong flop, so maybe leading and hoping he'll raise is better.
Hand 2, I'd probably raise the turn unless the opponent was especially passive. This might be too aggressive since the player's most logical holdings are KK/QQ.

-Matthew
Old 03-26-2006, 11:05 PM

Angelic -

Thanks for the response. Is mucking a small pp in the sb to a raise standard? Also, what makes you beleive that bb might fold?

Doug
Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 PM

Well only b/c he did really. Even no REAL reads I'd assume you had a preliminary VPIP (usually the tight guys show up pretty quick.) and could tell you might not get a call out of him.

And I wouldn't muck a PP on a button steal raise, but he's clearly not here.

-Matthew
Old 03-27-2006, 04:30 AM

Hand 1: I continue betting turn. They might raise you if you lead into them and you can 3bet. If you check, they might check it through, that is the ultimate suck. Especially with all the straight draws out there.

Hand 2: I just call the BB's raise. Rest looks fine.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2, I'd probably raise the turn unless the opponent was especially passive. This might be too aggressive since the player's most logical holdings are KK/QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also add AQ to the list.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:53 AM

Yeah i think in hand 1 i would not sexy the turn, too much risk and it probably nets you less value anyway.

Hand 2 looks ok, but i think the flop 3 bet is questionable. With only 2 opponents, 1 of which looks to have you pair outs reverse dominated or crushed (qq, AA), your flush draw is probably your only real value.

Board: Qd 7s 8s
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 32.8633 % 29.62% 03.24% { QQ+, AQs+, KQs, AQo+ }
Hand 2: 40.8325 % 38.38% 02.45% { AsKs }
Hand 3: 26.3042 % 25.51% 00.79% { KQs, QTs+, JsTs, T8s+, 98s, AQo, KQo, QTo+, 98o }

Hand 3's range is pretty questionable, Hand 1's range i think is fairly accurate. So i geuss you have more equity than i originally thought, so 3 bet it up.