View Poll Results: Hero's flop action?
Check/fold 4 8.51%
Check/call 23 48.94%
Check/raise 12 25.53%
Lead 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: SSNL, what\'s your story?

2004 - Started playing live low-stakes limit holdem, read a bunch of poker books, got hooked

2005 - Started playing online, mostly mtts, some stts, exclusively on pokerroom because I had a MAC. Owned pokerroom mtts enough that I thought I was good.\

2006 - Got a pc, started playing mtts everywhere else, primarily on Stars. Had enough success that I decided to quit the job I hated and play full time. Quit in August, got married in September, first day full time was Oct 1. Spent that day yelling at cspan. Wonderful timing.

I've played ~ 250k hands of nl 200/nl 400 since then, along with a lot of tourneys. Have also spent time learning the horse games and draw games but consider nl cash my main game. Glad I play full time and plan to continue indefinitely.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
for all u grinders who "work" at the tables, how many hands a week do u typically put in? how long have u been playing for? And whats a normal week/month in terms of buyins won/lost (dont lie)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 6bb winner and try to get 15k hands in a week

[/ QUOTE ]

Do u stay in ssnl because if u move ur winrate drastically decreases, or cause u have to withdraw a lot of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started winning a decent amount. I'm hoping to move up to 2/4 next month. I only withdraw my rakeback atm.

[/ QUOTE ]

how much rb do you make per hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like $75 for 2000 hands, is that a good enough estimate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

I am currently in my second foray as a pro. The first time went pretty well as a sng player (my main game were the 55s on party.) until I got sick of them, and started playing cash with some massive spew habits that made me a barely above expectation player at 100nl. When the bill came, I thought that I saw the writing on the wall, and got a job as a mortgage broker. My life as mortgage broker was a good learning experience as it surrounded me with many young successful people, and I learned the steps necesarry to be successful at any endeavor, but the market really sucked so I decided to go back to school. I am currently in school again at 27 years old. I expect to graduate when I am 29, and am playing 50nl for a living (I expect to be at 100 by new years.) Poker is no longer a long term thing for me, but I make more at 50 nl than I would with any non sales job and the flexibility for school is absolutely sublime.

I would also like to dish out some advice being that I am an old fart relative to the rest of this forum. Get your degree. School forces you to think critically and gets you in the habit of thinking in new ways. It also gives you a purpose outside of poker (balance is a good thing.) I know that it may cost you money, or how easy it is to get lazy and not go to school, but there are more important things than making money. Poker is tough to be successful in because there are so many pitfalls. Laziness is prolly number one on that list. It is so easy to have a huge month and get lazy and stop improving yourself. Getting your degree will do so many more things for you that not getting it when you are still young and have relatively few responsibilities is just a huge mistake imo. Trust me on this one guys, I used to be in the "I dont need to go to school cuz Im so good at poker" camp.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 AM

Old thread, but i missed it. So bump...

Im 27 (yup, i do feel old round here). I work for a big bad Investment Bank in London and earn in excess of 100k USD. Brag?
Poker for me is a part time hobby, i get in 25k hands a month. Currently at NL100, but was a winner at 200NL last year until i cashed it all out for a Porsche (Brag?) and a deposit for my 500 square foot flat in London (Beat?). That flat was >$550k (double beat)
Currently back grinding NL100, soon to be rolled for NL200 again, aim is to crush NL200 and be a winner at NL400 within next 6 months.

Ive been playing 2 years, 1st yr SNG multitabler, last year solely cash. One day i will crack this game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 AM

I started playing like 4 years ago when I was in my 2nd year of my 4 year history degree. Spent 3 years playing/on tilt/going busto - managed a 10k month once from mtt's which convinced me a I was amazing.

Managed ot graduate with a 2:2 (crap degree basically) in History. Hated my career prospects (teacher would be ok i guess). Decided to go back to scool ot do a law degree, which im now hating - but only 6 months left)

Anyways last summer me and my mate went to vegas fortnight. I came back thinking the gamed were so easy and how much I loved poker, so my interest in it all was rekindled. I also realised i was pretty bad but wanted to get good, so I have been working on my game et etcc with a view to having a decent roll for next summer (Vegas again).
Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 AM

2005- learned the game, played sng and mtt, cashed 14k from party's weekly 200k gtd(first big money) and started to play higher buy in sngs and thought i was good

2006-freerolled in WSOP ME from doyle's room under pokernews.com team and cashed in the ME too (16k)

2006 September-went to a known, top 10 grad school and spent all my poker winnings and am now busto. Also thanks to some unbelievable downswings to make it worse. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

2007- a known online cash player staked me in the WSOP ME but didn't do well this year. prolly the worst summer ever.

present-a very close friend of mine is now staking me so i'm currently trying to robusto from nl100 6m and 27T sng(which i'm doing well and hopefully it will continue)