Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 PM

Default 25NL TPTK getting c/red by big stack on the turn

Villain is running 21/9/6 over something like 60 hands. He is talking in the chat to a 2p2er all the time about how badly beaten they got all the time. So he probably thinks he is a good player. I have no specific notes on him though. How do you play this turn? check behind to behin with? Will AJ, AQ call us here?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $9.00
BB: $125.85
<font color="black">Hero (UTG): $31.10</font>
CO: $25.00
BTN: $28.75

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, 3 folds, BB calls $0.75

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($2.10) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, BB calls $2.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($6.10) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $9.00</font>, Hero ???
Old 05-14-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: 25NL TPTK getting c/red by big stack on the turn

I check behind on this flop to keep pot small/induce bluff/call on river. This might just be voodoo thinking but when villain calls pot bet OOP im less concerned w protecting from the flush draw. Villain more likely has combo draw, two pair, set, gut shot etc.

I also think your cbet is a little big. was there a reason you bet essentially pot here? Obviously not a huge deal.

ohyeah...baluga an at. dump.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:36 PM

I think we are toast - min c/r on turn = monster (baluga?). I put villain on KJ, KQ, JJ, 55, QJ, AKspades.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM

Against a decent opponent I think you usually want to CB about the same as you would if you hit the flop so you don't give away that you are bluffing. Against this drawy board you generally would bet the pot so I think it is a decent sized CB.

I instinctively thought that a bet was called for, but now that I think about it, a check behind might be better. Even though a K is a good card for you, it is actually kind of a scare card too. Against a player who is capable of making a move, he could be bluffing, or he might not be, you never know. So maybe a check behind and then call a bet on the river if a blank shows up.

It is unlikely you can get him to fold a draw if he is drawing without commiting a lot of chips. More than you probably would like to, because you could be beaten too. So I think the pot control check-behind is a good play.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:44 PM

There was no specific reason that I bet almost the full pot. I wanted to maximize my fe against draws.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:57 PM

If your going to c-bet in this spot you should bet between 3/4 to full pot. You want to bet the same as if you had a hand and if you had a hand on this draw heavy board you would bet pot. Your bet sizing here is fine.

Checking behind on this flop is also fine.

I think the turn has to be a fold. Your bet flop and bet turn again when I scare card came out and villain raised. He wants action.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:18 PM

folds
Old 05-14-2007, 05:48 PM

depends how well you have seen him play, check call, check raise is a strong line from a player who knows how to play, this might be a leak of mine but i call here to see how he bets the river, if he comes out for more than half the pot i think ur screwed, if u hit a T then good, and A may give you the best hand as well, thing is he cud play KT like this so u may still be good, cud possibly also bluff the river if a club hits
Old 05-14-2007, 05:58 PM

in your experience, how often do you think villain will check the river when I call here?

fwiw, I called and he pushed the river. I folded obv. But it felt a lot like spewing throughout the whole hand. I probably shouldn't have cbet this wet flop in the first place against this kind of aggressive player. And if he calls on this flop, I don't think the K is really a scarecard. So I really butchered this hand.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:04 PM

I like a flop check behind, a lot of his range hits this flop. You also keep the pot smaller for those times when you do pull a king and want to continue the hand.

As played, he is showing major strength and there is no hand he would check raise you with that you beat. Baluga FTW