Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 AM

Default Re: KK, UTG, above av. chips, Stars 55k, on the Bubble

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't 100% sure he didn't have aces...

[/ QUOTE ]

Arggggggggggggggg, so why are you questioning the call then.

Never fold KK pf in a donkament.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I basing this too much on results oriented thinking here ? Or was I a donk and should've insta folded Kings preflop ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently won a small $3 buy-in MTT and had a ~$350 payday. The bubble paid something like ~$3.50. This discrepancy is enormous!

You need to do whatever it takes to make the final table and win. There will be many instances where you will be 'only' a 70% favorite to win preflop, but you HAVE to gamble to make big money.

Think of it this way... ~70% of the time you would have a huge chip stack which you could use to go deep into the tournament. ~30% of the time you will be crippled, but still have a chance to make a comeback (5BB).

Having a big stack is huge near the bubble, which is fast approaching. Many players will want to cash and you can steal a lot of blinds when it gets down to ~160 players. Other players may be afraid to play against you out of fear of busting.

If you had like 200BB+ and the villain had 200BB+, you can consider folding. But not for 35BB.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM

you cant let the outcome dictate if you made the right play or not. The guy got lucky against your KK. you were a fav to win the hand preflop so why fold when you are the fav? plus, being close to the money, alot of players tend to get aggressive and try to steal pots. This could have easily been a shove with 88-QQ or AK-AQ. so why lay down KK when you could be a 80-20 fav but generally speaking I would think in that spot that you are a 65-35 favorite. so laying KK down just to "wait" for a better spot or to slide into the money is the wrong play because that is the "better spot" right there. You might not get a better spot until your stack dindles and your forced to move in hoping to double up and stay alive. Dont let an unlucky hand dictate to you that you might have played the hand incorrectly. I find it incorrect to let luck be a factor in logical poker reasoning because it will affect your game way too much.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 AM

Just a bad beat. You have to call with KK and roll the dice. If you double up you are in position to make a run to the final table and if you lose you are a crippled.

On the button in particular, he could be making a move with a dominated hand like 77 or 88. It is likely that he has AK since people want to get it all in to see all the cards with AK.

Later in tournaments as you get closer to the final table, I have folded JJ or QQ to a tight players reraise because I did not want to race my way out (or worse). But I don't think there are many, if any, good times to fold KK in a tournament.

Weirdrash
http://www.bettingforvalue.com
Old 11-15-2007, 12:35 PM

call every time
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM

Initially, the 4xBB raise UTG on the bubble with KK was very questionable. Obviously, you get action from AK and JJ+, but probably nothing else.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Initially, the 4xBB raise UTG on the bubble with KK was very questionable. Obviously, you get action from AK and JJ+, but probably nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]but you don't want to raise 2.5x and let some yahoo with A3 sooted bluff at you, you might get sucked out on...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 PM

From cardplayer's coverage of the recent WPT Foxwood event (http://www.cardplayer.com/tournament...9/18096?page=2)

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #22 - Mike White has the button in seat 6, Vela limps from middle position for 40,000, White limps from the button, Deeb raises from the small blind to 250,000, Myung reraises from the big blind to 810,000, and Vela moves all in for 1,895,000. White quickly folds.

With all this action, Freddy Deeb stands up and says, "I need a cigar and a glass of cognac on this hand. In all the years I've been playing tournament poker, I've never been in this situation." Deeb thinks for more than three minutes before he folds his hand, but he keeps his cards next to the muck so he can show them later.

Now it's Myung's turn to make a decision, and he takes longer than Deeb. More than five minutes pass before he calls with 1010. Vela flips over KK, and he's in a dominating position to double up.

Freddy Deeb's hand? He folded KK preflop. He says he was sure that Vela had aces.

The board comes QJ9, and Myung flops an open-ended straight draw -- except the top end of the straight is dead because all four kings have already been played. If Myung catches a ten for a set, it would give Vela the lead with a king-high straight. So Myung needs an eight to win with a straight, or a runner-runner full house if a ten should come.

The turn card is the Q, and now the full house is in play for Myung, and he will bust Vela if he catches a ten or an eight.

The river card is the -- 7. Vela breathes a sigh of relief as his pocket kings hold up to win the pot, and he doubles up in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Deeb's been playing for how long? And this was one of the hardest decisions he's ever made. And, arguably, he made a mistake - being results oriented, he would have chopped the pot with Vela, and won whatever extra from Myung.

My point - you made the right play. If you're 100% convinced the other guy has Aces, muck. But otherwise, shove 'em in...
Old 11-15-2007, 04:48 PM

Definitely not a mistake by Deeb imo. He said that he read the guy for AA or KK. If he's confident in his read, it's an easy fold because AA is much more likely due to Freddy holding half the kings...

Point is, you really need a specific read if you're going to fold KK pre.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM

That's quite a hand. I didn't hear about that one. Pretty sick stuff.