Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 PM

Default AK on bubble

I was playing a freeroll for a satellite into the $1000 freeroll on UB the other day and was wondering about this for a couple days now. I think I played it right, but i'll welcome suggestions. i'm just looking how to play this vs the stacks that I encountered.

everyone folds to me and i pick up AhKh in the HJ.
i've been playing super tight (and not getting hands) and had 4 stacks behind me that had me covered by 10:1 which is one reason i was waiting for something premium to push... i knew i would get action, especially from the CO who was in every pot at that point. 47 to go i'm in 40th and 30 pay entry.

blinds were 12/2400 and i had 29k.

is this a push or a small raise to get money in the pot and then push the flop?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: AK on bubble

push
Old 11-14-2007, 09:23 PM

If there are antes also there's about 15% of your stack in the middle, push.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 PM

ai
Old 11-14-2007, 09:39 PM

shove that love that
Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 PM

Quick question: How close to the bubble are you? If you are playing for satellite seats (meaning there is no difference between 1st & the last paid place), then all you need to do is survive the bubble. Unless you are short stacked vs. the field, then risks are unnecessary.

I remember seeing somewhere an extreme example (one of the books I read. Somebody chime in if they remember which one). One off the bubble in a satellite, a player in the middle of the pack picks up AA. In this scenario, it is best to fold the aces. The book pointed out the math and how playing the hand is -EV because all the prizes are the same.

Food for thought.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:26 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post12757846
Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember seeing somewhere an extreme example (one of the books I read. Somebody chime in if they remember which one). One off the bubble in a satellite, a player in the middle of the pack picks up AA. In this scenario, it is best to fold the aces. The book pointed out the math and how playing the hand is -EV because all the prizes are the same.

Food for thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure Gordon's blue book has an example like this, folding aces near the bubble of a satellite.

As for the original question, you have to push here because:
1. you are still pretty far from the bubble
2. your stack isn't big enough to survive to into the money

You need to build some chips one way or another to get a seat, so pushing here is a must.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 AM

shove shove mgove
Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 AM

yeah, so i shoved....there was no way i was gonna survive 15 or so more spots... things had really tightened up everywhere it seemed (watching the ticker in bottom corner) and everyone was riding it out passively.

the donkey who was playing every hand who i knew would call did w/ 10 8 off...
the guy after him did too... w/ A2 diamonds... i didn't think this guy would cuz he was playing with me on this table for some time and wasn't very active plus he should have known how tight i was playing. but he still had me covered 10:1 like the other guy did and spewing 30k didn't hurt him at all. they both cooperated, checked it down, and stacked me. i think the guy should have bet his 2 pr on the turn cuz he was golden by that point and should have been betting for value.....

Flop Kd 8 7... turn 10 d (i think crap)..... river 7 dia...

i go woooooohooooooooo thinking i just rivered the spewtards 2 pr and there was really justice in online poker, then i notice chips being shoved and the guy having the flush and my AK going down in flames to Arag for the 10th consecutive time for my tourney life when it's supposed to hold what 75?% theoretically???

in the future when i'm smallish and raising into 4 stacks who each have me covered 10:1 i am going to be raising to 5500 or so then pushing my last 24 on the flop when i hit king hi. this chases the ace rag that missed out... if i get reraised pre, i'm playing it anyways...... and not afraid to call

anyone agree w/ me on this line of action?