FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Quad B
#3 Beastie Boys- License to Ill 109 83.21%
#14 Jurassic 5 - Quality Control 22 16.79%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2006, 07:33 AM

Default Re: ***Official PGA Championship Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
MCS it is only because of his wrist injury. It hurts him to take the club back normally. Once the wrist heals he will likely return to a normal swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know it's temporary, but still, aren't you amazed by it?! In a way, the fact that it's temporary makes it even MORE impressive, because it's not like he's had tons of practice with it.

The guy had a very strong finish in a major while starting his backswing from two feet off the ground!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think the US Open for him will be the hardest...obviously with his weakness of driving accuracy. But he's also the best hitting out of the thick stuff and scrambling...Tiger Slam 2 anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny about Tiger & the US Open. He'll be a huge favorite at the upcoming ones at Pebble, Bethpage, & Torrey Pines, and he's got a 2 & a T3 at Pinehurst, so...

Places like Southern Hills would seem to give him the most trouble, but everyone thought Hoylake would give him trouble.

Basically, he's still by far the best physically & mentally, and now that he's got a decade(!) worth of experience; full confidence in the new swing; and has got past Earl's illness & death, it would appear that only freak bad luck away from the course will stop him the next few years.

Freddie, DL3, & Monty are well on the downside; VJ, Phil, Els, Furyk, Toms, Weirsy, Ogilvy, & Goose have taken their best shots, tho they'll still have their moments; Sergio, Adam Scott and those guys just aren't good enough; and Ryan Moore & such are years away.

"...same as the old boss."

[/ QUOTE ]

ryan moore no matter how many years will be close to tiger.
remember matt kuchar?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ryan Moore is a lot better than Matt Kuchar.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:55 AM

Matt kuchar has won some pro tournaments...he was also heralded with his major success as an amateur.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt kuchar has won some pro tournaments...he was also heralded with his major success as an amateur.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kuchar has won once on the PGA tour and once on the Nationwide. That's not the point though, Moore is just a better player/has more talent. He was better as an amteur than Kuchar and will be (arguably already is) a better pro.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:24 AM

God I'm glad he didn't add Davis Love.

Stewart Cink and Scott Verplank added to Ryder Cup team.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Kuchar has won once on the PGA tour and once on the Nationwide. That's not the point though, Moore is just a better player/has more talent. He was better as an amteur than Kuchar and will be (arguably already is) a better pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you're probably right..but i was just echoing an argument that some of these upstarts you hear about them for a couple of years then they're on the nationwide tour.
i would not be suprised if ryan moore has the same career path.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:54 PM

I would not be the least bit surprised if Matt Kuchar winds up being best known for his turn in the 1998 Masters and US Open, walking around with that sh1t-eating grin alongside his incredibly annoying father. I didn't even know he was still playing, I thought he entered the Witness Protection Program or something.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you're probably right..but i was just echoing an argument that some of these upstarts you hear about them for a couple of years then they're on the nationwide tour.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gotcha. I should probably clarify that I don't think Moore will ever challenge Tiger in any meaningful way. Obviously he may put up a fight here in there, but he's not going to be the great white hope any time soon.

20 years from now he'll be something like a Steve Stricker or Stuart Cink; some guy who hangs around and wins a tournament every couple years while flying under the radar. He'll probably make a couple Ryder Cup teams and maybe contend in a few majors, unlikely to ever win one. He will be easily forgettable, but you'll at least recognize his name when he's on the leaderboard and no be surprised to see him there, which is more than you can say for the Matt Kurachrs and Ricky Barneses of the world.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Gotcha. I should probably clarify that I don't think Moore will ever challenge Tiger in any meaningful way. Obviously he may put up a fight here in there, but he's not going to be the great white hope any time soon.

20 years from now he'll be something like a Steve Stricker or Stuart Cink; some guy who hangs around and wins a tournament every couple years while flying under the radar. He'll probably make a couple Ryder Cup teams and maybe contend in a few majors, unlikely to ever win one. He will be easily forgettable, but you'll at least recognize his name when he's on the leaderboard and no be surprised to see him there, which is more than you can say for the Matt Kurachrs and Ricky Barneses of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be nice if he were the next young American golf star....it's very rare to find anyone who can actually fulfill the hype. What happened to Charles Howell III? I mean anyone who can even up measure up to a Justin Leonard/David Duval standard would be nice for the United States.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean anyone who can even up measure up to a Justin Leonard/David Duval standard would be nice for the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're talking about two guys that won majors, one of whom was once the #1 player in the world. Ryan Moore will probably never win a major and he will definitely never be the world #1. He could ultimately end up being a better player than Leonard, he will not be better than peak Duval, but if you factor in post-breakdown Duvel he will probably have a better overall career.

So I guess it depends on what exactly you want him to do. If you'd be content with someone who can maintain a top 30 ranking and have 15 productive years on tour he could be your guy.