Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Upgrade to USB 2.0

Im pretty sick of waiting forever to upload stuff to my Ipod b/c I dont have any usb 2.0 ports. How can i fix this, will I need to buy some sort of card for my motherboard or is it a software thing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Upgrade to USB 2.0

Probably the easiest way is to just buy a new computer. If you don't have usb 2.0 now your computer must be 2 or 3+ years old so you will get a big performance boost. If you want to upgrade you'll need to get a USB card to fit in an expansion slot in your desktop. But it is a hardware thing not a software thing.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Yes, you buy a card. Newegg has 'em for like $6.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 AM

yea, u can get the expansion card for fairly cheap like meech said...

i did this like a year ago and i can't even begin to tell u how good of an idea it is...with an ipod or any external device, especially an HD or burner, it will work miracles in performance time...
Old 02-08-2007, 08:29 PM

Hey guys. I've been thinking about/wanting to upgrade to USB 2 for awhile now. Glad to see this thread.

So is the upgraded card a card that you put inside your computer, or is there something I can just plug into my old USB 1.1 port and then plug my devices into it?

If it's cheap and easy I'm all ready to go. I surfed around and checked some sites but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:04 PM

My guess would be you will need to open your case Cold. If you still have your owner's manual around it should show you how, or you might be able to find them on the intertubes. I still vote for a new machine, but that is my default position any way...
Old 02-09-2007, 01:17 AM

Okay, that's kind of what I figured.

I'm not a totally uncomfortable opening it up and putting a new card in, but just figured I would avoid it if there was a more simple way to do the upgrade.

Do I need to worry about motherboard conflicts or any other computerized crap like that, or is it set up so I can just snap it in and have it work?

Also, what is the technical name for the card I'm looking for? There were a lot of different ones, and some were more expensive than I expected the one I was looking for to be, so I thought maybe it wasn't the right one.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:45 AM

I believe what you're looking for is this:

TigerDirect: USB Adapters

They should come with some kind of manual, but I'd imagine that it would be just as easy as installing a new sound card.

Though like others said, if your computer doesn't currently have USB 2.0, it seems the time to upgrade to a new one is now.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:10 AM

you'll need to make sure you have an open PCI slot as well. This shouldn't be a problem unless you have a slim case. If you do have a slim case, there's potentially not an open slot, or the slot may be too thin for a normal card. when you open your pc case, PCI slots are ivory in color and about 3 inches long. they are keyed like this -------------------- -----
Old 02-09-2007, 11:59 AM

I'd probably fire up the BIOS setup and disable the onboard USB just to eliminate any possible conflicts/confusion.