Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 02:10 PM

Default PStars PLO8 .10/.25

Am I chasing like a fool here? I think an argument can be made on each street for a different play than what I made, which is why I thought the hand was interesting. Comments on all streets welcome.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $0.25 BB (9 handed)

MP2 ($12.50)
MP3 ($11.30)
CO ($14.85)
Hero ($28.30)
SB ($23.20)
BB ($7.15)
UTG ($37.85)
UTG+1 ($25.70)
MP1 ($27.10)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.60) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $1</font>, CO calls $1, Hero calls $1, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls $1.

Turn: ($5.60) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $5.35</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls $5.35, Hero calls $5.35.

River: ($21.65) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20.6...</font>

In particular...
- is the preflop call too loose?
- would anyone pot the flop? Top pair plus nut low with protection is a pretty good hand... but I just called because I wanted action. A mistake?
- is the turn a fold? To me MP1 seems likely to have the top straight, while CO probably has the nut low just like me. Am I just asking to get quartered by calling here?
- river bet - actually I don't think any other play here makes much sense, but if anyone else would just check/call here I'd be interested in the reasoning.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: PStars PLO8 .10/.25

I tend to play hands ilke this much faster. I would've put in a PSB on the flop, just to thin the field. The reason for that is that you have the nut low + top pair. Ideally, a naked nut low comes along and you can get half his stack. Turn is difficult if you think you're getting quartered. My quartered alert doesn't go off here. The reason being is that CO is just check-calling.

River I like. If CO had nut low and is counterfited, and MP1 had a straight with no low, they will have a hard time calling.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:41 PM

I'm always calling with this hand OTB in an unraised pot.

I'm potting the flop given the action, especially since two of the people in the hand only have a half buy-in.

As played I'm calling the turn (if I haven't seen CO showdown many hands) and potting the river. If a three hadn't fell then I'm not sure how I would have played it.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:28 PM

I am 100% fine with the way that you played this hand. Kudos especially for firing the big one on the end. Id be OK with potting the flop if you wanted to do that too, only because you have a little something going for high and counterfeit protection for low.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 PM

This is never a fold pre-flop, from any position.

Seems like a decent line to me, because you can represent the flush as played. If you pumped it earlier, anyone with a straight would have been priced in on the turn and retained their 1/2 of the pot.

As far as I know gergery coined this phrase as "freerolling to a bluff", and this a great situation for that. You need to control the pot size to execute a scary river semi-bluff.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:50 PM

Yes... thing is, the way the hand played out the pot size worked out well for me (plenty left on the river for me to bluff the high out of the pot), but I can't say that controlling pot size for this purpose was part of my thought process on earlier streets. Also, how often does one of the villains make a high on the turn followed by a scare card on the river? Anyway, still not sure the flat call on the flop was the right move.

As it turned out, MP1 folded what I presume was the high and CO thought for a little while and called with a second-best low and second-best high (he had sixes and threes to my sevens and threes), so I scooped.

FWIW I don't think I'd play this from any position in any game. I'm comfortable with the call on the button here, but if I were playing from EP in a game with a lot of preflop raising I would ditch this hand preflop. I don't want to be playing for a decent-sized pot before I even see a flop when my hand needs a specific card (a 2) to be playable.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:21 PM

Pot the flop.

Pot the Turn.

Pot the river.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:22 PM

Wait, pot the flop, pot the river, I like the turn line.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:06 PM

I wouldn't say that you need a 2 on the flop to make your hand playayble. A flop containg a 2 and 4 would be your ideal flop, but a flop with a 6 and a 4 would also be a good flop fit, and there are obviously others where you trips or better with second nut low.