Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Gun control on campus

Is not allowing students(in the US) to carry guns on campus doing them a disservice?

Guns are legal in the US and will be for the foreseeable future. So no 'why not just ban all guns' arguments pls.

Here are some references were armed citizens stepped in to stop the bad guys.

Appalachian School of Law shooting -Two students got their guns from there cars to stop the shooter.

UT Clock Tower Shooter - Was killed by officers with the help of an armed citizen.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Gun control on campus

It is obvious that "gun-free zone" policy like this stacks the deck in favor of Cho-type maniacs.

However, your average college professor became a college professor by studying harder, communicating better, publishing more, etc. etc. etc. and in particular not by thinking about how to solve problems with a decisive use of violence. In other words, they are particularly ill-prepared (as a group) to understand the counterintuitive fact that the correct response to a bully is to smack him as hard as physically possible.

Thus a policy that encourages professors to defend themselves and students in situations like this presents a problem: Get comfortable with the use of violence (which goes against their nature), or accept a certain loss of face by putting that responsibility on someone else. The solution, of course, turns out to be to oppose policy that would allow professors to defend themselves and their students.

We could have a Cho incident every week for the next two months and policy wouldn't change.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is obvious that "gun-free" policy like this stacks the deck in favor of Cho-type maniacs.

However, your average college professor became a college professor by studying harder, communicating better, publishing more, etc. etc. etc. and in particular not by thinking about how to solve problems with a decisive use of violence. In other words, they are particularly ill-prepared (as a group) to understand the counterintuitive fact that the correct response to a bully is to smack him as hard as physically possible.

Thus a policy that encourages professors to defend themselves and students in situations like this presents a problem: Get comfortable with the use of violence (which goes against their nature), or accept a certain loss of face by putting that responsibility on someone else. The solution, of course, turns out to be to oppose policy that would allow professors to defend themselves and their students.

We could have a Cho incident every week for the next two months and policy wouldn't change.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes but there are professors who would carry, and more important what about the students?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am pretty positive there are Universities that allow concealed weapons.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw a thing on CNN, there is one state in the country that allows conceal carry handguns on campus...Utah. They did a piece at the University of Utah, obviously people on both sides of the aisle. They had a professor who said she thinks it creates more danger.

However, they estimate about 500 students carry TO CLASS! With a school enrollment of roughly 25,000, 1 out of every 50 kids is carrying a handgun to class each day. This probably means 1 gun in about every 2 classrooms. Amazingly, people aren't gunning each other down each time they have a fight.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw a thing on CNN, there is one state in the country that allows conceal carry handguns on campus...Utah. They did a piece at the University of Utah, obviously people on both sides of the aisle. They had a professor who said she thinks it creates more danger.

However, they estimate about 500 students carry TO CLASS! With a school enrollment of roughly 25,000, 1 out of every 50 kids is carrying a handgun to class each day. This probably means 1 gun in about every 2 classrooms. Amazingly, people aren't gunning each other down each time they have a fight.

[/ QUOTE ]
A 1 in 50 ratio would have probably cut this guys killing spree in half or less.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A 1 in 50 ratio would have probably cut this guys killing spree in half or less.

[/ QUOTE ]
On what basis are you stating this?

Ignoring the actual safety issue - I think many professors would be uncomfortable working at a university like this. This would ultimately hurt the university academically.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignoring the actual safety issue - I think many professors would be uncomfortable working at a university like this. This would ultimately hurt the university academically.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were allowed, I would carry on campus.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were allowed, I would carry on campus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't teach on a campus that allowed concealed weapons
Old 04-24-2007, 12:28 AM

I wouldn't teach on a campus that allowed concealed weapons, either.

This is the basis that I stated that with.