Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker)

I just got a 2nd job as a Math Tutor. I go to peoples houses (mostly rich people!) and teach their kids Algebra, Calc, Trig etc. I love doing this. I wish I did this straight out college. Its good $$ for something I love to do.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker)

With every job there are times that I dislike it (paper work and all the other garbage that goes along with it) but as a general I love what I do.

I am an IT Manager/Systems Engineer/Sytems Admin whatever title you want to call it today..
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 AM

how'd you get into tutoring? I used to do it in college and it sounds like a sweet way to pick up some extra cash and help kids out.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a 2nd job as a Math Tutor. I go to peoples houses (mostly rich people!) and teach their kids Algebra, Calc, Trig etc. I love doing this. I wish I did this straight out college. Its good $$ for something I love to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a math degree and want to do this. Can you tell me how? Here or elsewhere.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:21 AM

i manage a dry cleaner (as everyone knows now) it rules hard.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:21 AM

Like most people with a good job, I love my job 20% of the time, like it 70% of the time, and dislike it 10% of the time. Because really, no matter how good your job is there are times when you would rather be doing something else.

Generally speaking, though, my job is fantastic. It's challenging, the compensation is good-very good, the hours are flexible, my supervisors let me do my own thing but help when asked, and the company goes out of it's way to repeatedly ask me if I'm happy and show that they're doing something to change that I don't like.

I think that the only two parts of my job that I don't like are:

1. It's consulting, and occasionally I get clients asking me to do multiple things in the same day/week and I end up working late which I don't like.

2. My company is big, so there is a certain level of mega-company PR-type BS that I typically ignore, but am still subjected to.

So overall, I would say yes, I love my job. But sometimes I would rather be watching cartoons.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:22 AM

I do contract work with the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues, it's a nonprofit that supports debate programs in city high schools. There are some of the usual hassles of most jobs (sometimes annoying work or bosses or whatever), but mostly I do research and writing for them, which I enjoy, I get to travel to work with debate leagues and students in different cities, I work largely from home on my own schedule, and I get a lot of good opportunities (I'm going to be publishing a book with them soon).

In my opinion, one of the best things about being able to make money on the side playing poker is that you don't have to let money govern what else you do with your life. They pay me decent, but I certainly couldn't afford to do this for my bread and butter. I'd have to get a real, much crappier and less rewarding job.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:27 AM

I do Flash and Web design like it a lot (love is a strong word)... It's creative, challenging, and can be a lot of fun. I also left the private sector a few years ago to do this kind of work for nonprofits that are in line with my political beliefs, which gives it all a lot of intangible extra benefits.

I took a steep pay cut at first when I jumped from private sector to the nonprofit world, but my quality of like and overall career satisfaction is much, much higher...

It's still a job, and some days can still be a grind, but all-in-all, it's a pretty great way to make a living...
Old 10-19-2006, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its good $$ for something I love to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I truly think this is the key to a happy life.

and what sucks is that i have no idea what it might be for me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyone know of a job that is stimulating and you get to travel to interested places frequently, with decent pay? This is what I'd love to do.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its good $$ for something I love to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I truly think this is the key to a happy life.

and what sucks is that i have no idea what it might be for me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyone know of a job that is stimulating and you get to travel to interested places frequently, with decent pay? This is what I'd love to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

The military? Courier? Diplomat? Stewardess?