Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: NL600 - 88 - Turned A Set.. Is It Good?

I have a lot to learn about NL. Do you think this is a WA/WB situation a high % of the time?

I think pushing is the worst option. Do I have a huge problem with my attitude? Eh no.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:14 AM

call and re-evaulate river.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 AM

wateronrock - you were either being sarcastic or illogical. there is no place for either on this forum. sabr42 is a pimp, and knows a lot about NL so there is no need to be rude to him.
also, calling a hand WA/WB on the turn is weird because since there is only one more hand to come we are pretty much WA/WB of anything except for a straight and flush draw.

Mr3157 - yes, a 9T is indeed possible. are you advocating a call or a fold? your reply did not answer any questions, it only told us how you do not like a push so i assume that you do not know what to do.

eternal - calling will put us in a really weird spot on the river. if we call turn, the folding river is really bad. calling to boat up is silly, and calling then folding when a flush card comes is also silly. we would also be loosing value from hands we beat. i really do not see what there is to re-evaluate.

OP's read on villain is that he is a bad player. if he would check flop with a set, he is just as likely to do it with two pair. he could be playing an over pair horribly as well. folding seems strange, calling does not really accomplish much, so the clear choice to me seems to be a push.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:23 AM

I just think this is a situation where warning bells go off when a player checks in this spot and follows up with a turn raise. If OP's described the villain as tricky or good then his range would be wider but vs a bad 13/10 I would make QQ,JJ a pretty good fave followed by 55..QJ...AA,KK..flush draw/straight draw...air. If I pushed here and got called, I'd be surprised not to see QQ,JJ,55.

I'm here to discuss poker.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I just think this is a situation where warning bells go off when a player checks in this spot and follows up with a turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you have a set yourself, which is the 4th nuts here. I've shoved in spots similar to these and gotten calls from morons who slowplayed TPTK.

If he has QQ/JJ you were destined to lose a big pot here. Shoving DOES get called by plenty of worse hands if villain is bad.

Just because a situation is WA/WB (and here he could have a hand with a lot of outs so it doesn't even qualify) doesn't mean you shouldn't shove.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I just think this is a situation where warning bells go off when a player checks in this spot and follows up with a turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you have a set yourself, which is the 4th nuts here. I've shoved in spots similar to these and gotten calls from morons who slowplayed TPTK.

If he has QQ/JJ you were destined to lose a big pot here. Shoving DOES get called by plenty of worse hands if villain is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this... I think OP is over thinking this hand and just needs to go with it. I just push the turn because you want the money in there. Honestly you really do.

FWIW I'm probably 3 betting this hand too preflop.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 AM

OP was lucky to see turn card for free and got really lucky. In fact, thats what you re hoping for when playing PPs like 88 vs a PF raise. We are losing far too much value when we always think that every overcard could give villain a higher set, frankly that does not happen too often. IMO villains range here includes a few hands that beat us and lot of hands that we beat like two pair, overpair, TPTK and draws so PUSH...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:41 AM

If it was only set over set against all hands you beat, its a clear shove.

If you put the straight in his range and give the straight a high probability, you should call it down and hope for a boat on the river.

Never fold.

Actually I folded a very similar hand last night in a livegame, not vs a straight, but with the third diamond giving me a set 555 on the turn. I had a good tell from my opponent, so I could fold it against his flush. But online... call/shove
Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 AM

I def don't see a straight in his range. A 13/10 guy raising T9 from MP2? Rather not..
Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I def don't see a straight in his range. A 13/10 guy raising T9 from MP2? Rather not..

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Alex. I'm looser than 13/10 and I fold T9 from MP2. OP did say villain was not as good as stats made it look though...

I too appreciate the input of Soah and Sabr on the forum, I recommend pocket5's for wateronrock, you'll fit right in.