Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 12:14 AM

Default AJo EP after a raise

Hi - I am playing in a live 3/6 LHE game. The player on my right is just plain loose and not very good. He makes terrible overcalls, but he beats me.

I am EP with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and he raises. I do not like my hand much but it is usually better than his (He limped and 3-bet me with A-To when I raised with K-K).

Here I could have raised but I decided to cold call (the hand would play better if I had raised. A-Jo really is a folding hand to a raise from a good player).

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 players, 9 sb)

UTG bets, PFR calls, I raise, folded to UTG who 3-bets, PFR folds, I call, now HU.

I think I am toast here. If the turn does not bring a Jack then I should just fold.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players, 8 bb)

UTG checks, and I check.

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players, 8 bb)

UTG bets, I .... fold.

Should I call here?

Reads, if UTG had AQ, AK, he would have raised preflop. He has watched me play TIGHT therefore he has to be able to beat one pair. Granted my cold call did not mean much preflop. I could have an Ace with a kicker > 7 and he does not seem to care.

I think he has 2-pair and in fact I should have folded to his 3-bet on the flop.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: AJo EP after a raise

3-bet or fold PF. I would fold. I muck AQo to most live UTG raises.

Bet/fold the rurn. You're toast if he goes for the C/R.

Call the river as played. Expect to lose, but the pot is large and he can be firing just because you checked the turn.

Try to be more specific with you PF action. I thought UTG raised PF. Who is the person you described in your reads section, UTG or the PFR? If the PFR is LP, calling with AJo is a huge leak.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 AM

You're correct--given your read on the player to your right, preflop is pure 3bet or fold territory.

If you put UTG on two pair after his flop 3bet, then you should most definitely not have folded. At that point you are getting 15:1 to continue, more than enough to put another bet into the pot even if you have just 3 outs to your jacks. But 3 outs is the worst case (when he has A7)--against A3 you have 6 outs, and against 73 you hold 5 outs + the possibility of a runner runner board pair.

And again, if you are that sure that UTG is holding two pair, then your turn check through is fine. The river fold as well, although I'm more concerned by the fact that he bets into you again after the river puts a 4-straight on the board (and less convinced that he flopped two pair). You should definitely have been planning to call a river bet had the board paired and/or improved you.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:00 AM

RR or fold preflop. my default is to fold.

as played call the river. theres too much doubt as to the strength of villain's hand after he checks the turn.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 AM

fold pf.

a "wtf gamboool" LRR is different than a legitimate open raise. he doesn't have ATo here.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 AM

My turn to use that new word *grunch*

The hapless player in this hand (me) made several mistakes on this hand which is pretty poor for a student of SHHE.

1) This is a raise or fold situation and since A-J is not a 3-betting hand then fold. A-J is better than the raiser but not against the other players - you can not isolate on 3/6.

2) as played I should have folded the flop. There was a donk bet and a call. What did the PFR have? 88+ or big suited cards sans an Ace. But what did the bettor have. Something that could beat one pair? Had I raised preflop and he bet that would define his hand.

The problem is that I have been wining about 15% of my hand When I See the FLOP. You can not win that way. You need to Win more like 50%.

So, either I am very unlucky (I am) or I suck at poker (I do). Seriously, I have been losing with good hands and that is making my head soft. I lost with trips 3 times in a row: 2 times in a row to two outs and once to flush.

Now I will read replies.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM

Point 2 in your post is borderline MUBS. As played when the pf raiser flat calls the flop bet that is your cue to raise. This is just playing scared. Play pokers from there.

I also fold preflop.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet or fold PF. I would fold. I muck AQo to most live UTG raises.

Bet/fold the rurn. You're toast if he goes for the C/R.

Call the river as played. Expect to lose, but the pot is large and he can be firing just because you checked the turn.

Try to be more specific with you PF action. I thought UTG raised PF. Who is the person you described in your reads section, UTG or the PFR? If the PFR is LP, calling with AJo is a huge leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - see my grunch.

Preflop it went like this. UTG limped, UTG+1 (poor player) raised, UTG+2 (me just as poor) called.

Hope that is a better description of events.

As played, I called the river and he had 2-pair A-7 which he limped UTG with.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As played, I called the river and he had 2-pair A-7 which he limped UTG with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a tendency to be results oriented in your posts. What he has, or limps with does not matter. What matters is your skill at making decisions regarding the equity you have in a pot given the information you have. It doesn't matter what he has.

If it helps, remind yourself that even though you shouldn't have been in the pot you had him CRUSHED preflop. What, like 82% of the time you're going to win at showdown against an A7. What happened in this one particular hand isn't important. Long term you're going to kill this guy and this one particular hand is just a tiny sample size that is in no way indicative of reality.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Point 2 in your post is borderline MUBS. As played when the pf raiser flat calls the flop bet that is your cue to raise. This is just playing scared. Play pokers from there.

I also fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

MUBs is a problem when the monsters are eatting me. Did I mention that I am W$WSF about 15% of the time?

W$WSF is predicated on two things. 1) the cards you see the flop with and 2) if you fold before the river. How much money you win or lose on the hand is predicated upon how well you play the hand post flop e.g. SSHE concepts.

In some games playing premium cards and never cold calling without AA-QQ and AK will increase your W$WSF rate. Playing too many hands will decrease your W$WSF %. Some games you need close to the nuts to win a hand.

Now, I am just getting beat. Everytime I am raised or bet into on the river I am beat. That is really monsters under the bed.

Solutions: Play more 3/6 until I learn to play post flop better. Player tighter not weaker preflop and on the flop.

Thanks