Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 04:19 AM

Default question for ufc fans

when watching the grey maynard fight the other night when gray knocked himself out on a slam i was surprised that no one made any mention of the carlos newton/matt hughes fight in which hughes won his first championship. in that one it appeared that hughes was choked out when he picked carlos up in a triangle if i recall correctly. what i am sure of is when they got carlos's legs unwrapped from him and you see his head pop out, he has no idea what is going on. during the interview you can see that he is still la la and confused. carlos said it appeared he went out and that is what caused the slam and it definitely appeared that way.

do you guys think this was a bad ruling? just curious if there is something im missing on that one, as it appears that hughes went out first and it should have been a no contest or ever a win for newton. anyhow it is irrelevant to anything at this point but im still curious.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:24 AM

Default Re: question for ufc fans

Well that fight was pre-the TUF reality show, so most fans have no idea it occurred. In replays, it looks like Hughes walks away from the fence, and initiates the slam... and then goes unconscious on the way down. He definitely was out at some point before Newton hit his head on the mat.

Big John said that there would have been MORE controversy in that decision had he ruled Newton the victor, considering the winner was laying on the mat unconscious and the loser walks around alert.

Hughes asked his corner right after, "Did I win?"

I personally think that Newton should have had the victory, but it can go either way. Is it possible that Hughes went out AFTER the slam KO'ed Newton? Probably not.

It was an awesome fight anyway.