Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

Big deal. OJ got indicted for double-murder once...lot of good that did.

Indictment != Conviction

Call me in a year or two.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:58 PM

i'm here, big deal. if bonds is proven to have done steroids i will be extremely... not surprised. just like i've said all along.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think it was because Bonds is the only athlete who they questioned about steroid use who denied it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean that the other athletes they say tested positive all either weren't questioned or admitted to it when questioned back in '03.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm even more confused as to what your point is but Tammy Thomas and Trevor Graham were indicted for Grand Jury perjury and Marion Jones pled guilty to lying to BALCO investigators.

The whole it was flaxseed oil and I didn't know defense was not unique to Bonds, it was apparently the standard line from BALCO athletes.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have the hard numbers on what % of federal grand jury indictments lead to guilty pleas and/or guilty sentences?

Isn't it 80-90%?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but you can evaluate stuff at face value too. this isn't like the michael vick indictment. a braindead retard could tell that vick was boned. it looks more questionable here, though it would still be surprising if the case wasn't pretty strong.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:14 PM

I can't see anyone being surprised.

I liked this quote from the article

"He could know other BBs,'' Bonds replied when shown the (steroid) calendar during his testimony.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see anyone being surprised.

I liked this quote from the article

"He could know other BBs,'' Bonds replied when shown the (steroid) calendar during his testimony.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bret Boone LDO
Old 11-15-2007, 10:42 PM

Ok...does this mean that the chance that ANY team signs Bonds this year is like 0%.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the fact that the govt. spent millions of taxpayers money and after 4+ years finally reached an indictment after 3+ tries(my numbers could be off), you would rate that as a plus to your argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with the resources used in this case. Steroids are dangerous to young people and lying to the grand jury in a criminal investigation is a serious crime. The attention this case will get and the possible deterrent it will be (particularly if there is a conviction) on both steroids use and care-free perjury make it worth every penny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. He broker the law. Apparently you believe that celebrities are above the law because it is too expensive to prosecute them.... or is it that you believe that perjury and obstruction of justice should be legal? Steroids could be another matter if you are a libertarian, but that is not what he is charged with -- and even a libertarian could see the benefit of telling children and young athletes that steroids are bad.

As has been said, thirty minutes in Iraq pays for several Bonds prosecutions.

A little law school for you:

What are the theoretical purpose of the criminal law and the punishment imposed by it? Typically one or more of the following.

(1) Deterrence (both general and specific)
(2) Incapacitation
(3) Rehabilitation

Incapacitation serves little purpose here. Not sure rehabilitation is possible in the case of Bonds... But there is a ton of deterrence -- at least of the general type.

Shall I go on?

Wow indeed.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have the hard numbers on what % of federal grand jury indictments lead to guilty pleas and/or guilty sentences?

Isn't it 80-90%?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but you can evaluate stuff at face value too. this isn't like the michael vick indictment. a braindead retard could tell that vick was boned. it looks more questionable here, though it would still be surprising if the case wasn't pretty strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's above 95%.

The feds typically do not lay all their cards on the table in the indictment, either.

While some would say anytime the feds go after a "name" person, it's just because they're trying to get headlines -- it's more appropriate to say that no federal prosecutor is likely to ever risk their entire DOJ future by bringing an indictment against a "name" person that isn't going to stick.

Does this mean Bonds is 100% guilty? No. It does mean that the feds actually believe they have a pretty much airtight case.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. He broker the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little law school for you :

Indictment != BROKE THE LAW GUILTY LOCK HIM UP MARTYR HIM HE IS THE CAUSE OF LIFES PROBLEMS MAYBE BONDS GOING TO PRISON WILL CURE CANCER