Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Ask an Iraq war Vet

How was the food there? I mean, on a daily basis, would you have 3 good meals? What type of food was most common?

How has the transition from Marine in Iraq to civilian in Japan been for you? I mean, are there some aspects you miss? Do you ever consider re-enlisting?

What did you most look forward to each day/week (that did not relate to contacting or going home)?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:41 AM

I don't know a lot of people (at least well) who are serving/have served in Iraq. One is my cousin, who joined the Marines because he "wants to kill people". I also met some British Air Force guys at an airport who re-upped for the "big paycheck" (10K extra hazard pay for 6 months or something ridiculous like that).

At the risk of sounding blunt, I'm genuinely curious.

Why did you join the armed forces? Why did the others you worked with?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're going to be hated forever because you admitted that you're ignorant and are against the war?

You must be drunk and I must be leveled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the thing about it is, if anything would benefit me then I would be completely for it, regardless of the catastrophies and lives that would be lost, that was the point of my post and thats what I meant about people taking it sourly.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Do you have any theories on why the middle east is such fertile ground for terrorists as opposed to say east Asia? Basically I'm trying to understand from a person who has seen both cultures up close and personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should brush up on some history before asking this question. google is a good place, and start with arab/israeli conflicts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware of the history of the region. I was asking speciifically if OP had any theories on cultural or other indemic differences that might lend themselves to more warlike behavior.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How was the food there? I mean, on a daily basis, would you have 3 good meals? What type of food was most common?

How has the transition from Marine in Iraq to civilian in Japan been for you? I mean, are there some aspects you miss? Do you ever consider re-enlisting?

What did you most look forward to each day/week (that did not relate to contacting or going home)?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are on base they have "chow halls" which is what the Military calls cafeterias. It was basically a huge all you can eat buffet for everymeal and kicked ass.Every sunday they served lobster,steak, and fried shrimp. Some major bases, like in Baghdad, had Hardee's and Baskin Robins and stuff like that.

When I was on the Iraqi base, there food was pretty interesting. They eat a lot of chicken,rice, and some weird ground meat,which I never found out what it was. They ate Pita bread with basically everymeal which was cool. And they drink Chai tea which was really good.

I miss the people I met. I still keep in contact with many of them. I've actually briefly considered going back in. I wouldnt rule it completely out, but I seriously doubt it.

I most looked forward to the following in no particular order.

-Beer
-Weekends off work.
-Wearing civillian clothes.
-Sex
-My bed
-My Car
-Fast food
Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why did you join the armed forces? Why did the others you worked with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was sick of school, and was basically just getting high and drunk all day. When I dropped out of college, my parents basically refused to support me.I had a decent chunk of money saved up, but that ran out eventually. I watched full-metal jacket one night and said [censored] it Im joining the Marine Corps.All my friends laughed and said yeah rite,ETC ETC

I was a recruiters dream. I walked in and said wheres the contract, I wanna go to boot camp now. And a week later I was in Parris Island,SC seriously questioning my decision.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 AM

What did you expect your service to be like going in? Did you think you'd be in Afghanistan? Did you think it was likely that you'd wind up in Iraq or Iran?

Ever served with someone who was probably gay? Would an openly gay Marine have a hard time because of that (aside from getting kicked out, I mean)?

Awesome thread, by the way.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:34 AM

Oh, also: in your opinion, what would have been the worst possible job the Marines could have stuck you with? The best?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What did you expect your service to be like going in? Did you think you'd be in Afghanistan? Did you think it was likely that you'd wind up in Iraq or Iran?

Ever served with someone who was probably gay? Would an openly gay Marine have a hard time because of that (aside from getting kicked out, I mean)?

Awesome thread, by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I assumed Id be in Afhanistan, and new Iraq was possible.

I had to friends in my unit. One was a very obvious lesbian, the other a very obvious gay man. Like stereotypical gay, the kind where as soon as you saw or spoke to them, you knew they were gay.

Well they got Married so they could get pais Housing allowance so they could move off of base. Everyone knew what was going on, it was kind of an open secret.

Anyways we would go to parties at this house which were pretty funny. He would have his Gay friends, her lesbian friends, and then there would be a mix of all kinds of Marines. Former gang members from LA, Guys from Brooklyn, Puerto Ricans, white kids from Nebraska. They were the funniest parties I have ever been too.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, also: in your opinion, what would have been the worst possible job the Marines could have stuck you with? The best?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst-probably like a cook or something.
Best-Probably Counter-Intel, which I was going do but couldn't get a top secret clearance, because I couldn't pass the polygraph test. (stupid drugs)