Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 06:47 PM

Default I love Jazz music - the Saxophone blows tho

I even played the Alto Sax in middle school for a couple of years..

But ya I love all kinds of Jazz music, from the classics all the way thru the modern fusion stuff. Everything from Billy Holiday, Armstrong, Duke, Bebop, Dixieland, all the great jazz guitar players, those classic Hammond B3 Organ guys, those incredible clarinet players, Miles Davis, etc etc.. I mean I really love Jazz! But as soon as those Sax guys start blowing, I gota change the station.

I know Charlie Parker and John Coltrane are geniuses, but wow is that sound just so scratchy, annoying, just can't stand it. Even the modern "smooth" sax songs are hard to listen to. I just don't know what the attraction is to the whole Jazz sound.

Anyone here like listening to the Saxophone? Why? What is it about that sound that attracts you to the music? Or do others share my sentiment that its the bane of music in all its forms?

L8r.. BB
Old 11-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: I love Jazz music - the Saxophone blows tho

Can't think of an instrument that is all or nothing like that. I often don't like the sax in pop music because it is slipped in as an easy sort of false cool, and the riffs are often juvenile and predictable. You get a "Wow, I'm listening to a saxophone!" vibe in songs still that doesn't fly for, say, an electric guitar in rock music, except maybe heavy metal, where there is a lot of, "Wow, this is a guitar!" sound.

So I like the sax, I just don't like to be hit over the head with it or patronized by it. Unfortunately, in a lot of pop music, you can almost guarantee one or both of the latter.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:41 PM

well, my instrument is the tenor sax, so I'm obviously biased, but to me there is nothing better then hearing sonny rollins in flight from the late 50s. There are just things that can't be done on any other instrument with the sax, lines that are just so amazing. What I love so much about the tenor sax too is that it's generally the closest an instrument can come to the male voice

I personally don't understand the disdain you have, but to each their own. I know that I couldn't listen to jazz and completely cut off listening to sax players. To me there is just so much beauty in the sound of a saxophone that it's hard for me to ever not want to listen to someone like stan getz, hank mobley, don byas, tim warfield, mark turner, and so on
Old 11-04-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, my instrument is the tenor sax, so I'm obviously biased, but to me there is nothing better then hearing sonny rollins in flight from the late 50s. There are just things that can't be done on any other instrument with the sax, lines that are just so amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. Give me a favorite Sonny Rollins song and I'll buy it from itunes, check it out, see what you're talking about.

As for the "there are things that just can't be done on any instrument but a sax", uh, like what? My contention is a guitar player can do anything a sax can, plus alot more (chords etc).

Of all the sax sounds tho, I agree that tenor is the best.

L8r.. BB
Old 11-04-2007, 11:28 PM

there are limitations to the pick for a guitar player. With the sax, the way that one can progress chromatically over chords is very unique to the sax and sax only.

As far as rollins goes, check out anything from Saxophone Collosus. St. Thomas is probably the one to really look for with Strode Rode a close second. He also utterly kills Moritat(mack the knife) with an amazing 4 1/2 minute solo that is pure innovation.

Sonny Rollins is my main influence. I have always enjoyed Trane, but from the first time I ever heard Sonny Rollins, it just clicked with me. His tone from that period is just off the charts. He uses the Coleman Hawkins/Don Byas(he was probably more influenced by Byas who was vastly under rated) tone and all sorts of hard bop sensibilities.

I'd also recommend checking out Hank Mobley, especially how he plays on This I dig of You, No Room for Squares, and I remember you. In fact, all of Hank Mobley's stuff from Blue Note is just pure gold.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there are limitations to the pick for a guitar player. With the sax, the way that one can progress chromatically over chords is very unique to the sax and sax only.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I wish I understood what you're talking about. I've played guitar for 25+ years, which also can do things no other instrument can. I'll def check out your suggestions tho thx!

L8r.. BB
Old 11-05-2007, 12:29 AM

every instrument can do things that other's can't, that's what makes them all so great
Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 AM

Isn't the solo in Hall & Oates "Maneater" a sax? If so, I <3 it. Love that solo. Haha.

I have no knowledge of instruments really. It's quite pathetic. I love me some jazz and blues music though. <3
Old 11-05-2007, 04:59 AM

I've never heard of someone hating the saxaphone before. Maybe its because I'm a blues musician, but I LOVE playing with sax players, love hearing good sax improv, love the sax. Two instruments I'd love to learn? Sax, and then piano.

Saxaphone is one of the most expressive instruments.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM

Loving jazz but hating sax makes me really dizzy