Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: ESPN/ABC To Apply Poker Model To Football Broadcasts

"If that article is true, i will stop watching football... "

I might too. I hope this does not happen.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:29 PM

Non-Live football games will probably bomb. I wonder how the ratings are on replayed games.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:30 PM

This might be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

SGS
Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 PM

This already exists. You can watch condensed baseball games with only the hit and out pitches. And you can watch football games with the time between the player being tackled and the ball being snapped pulled out like on the NFL channel. Obv most people still prefer live.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This already exists. You can watch condensed baseball games with only the hit and out pitches. And you can watch football games with the time between the player being tackled and the ball being snapped pulled out like on the NFL channel. Obv most people still prefer live.

[/ QUOTE ]

The condensed games on the NFL channel are usually quite well done. I still watch more live, but if for some reason I miss a game I want to see, I don't mind watching the NFL channel version at all.

Of course, this is completely different than what is described in the OP.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They should do that with soccer. Would have a 5 min world cup show.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:39 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They should do that with soccer. Would have a 5 min world cup show.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are like 15 shows that have highlights. Since this is what you would love to watch, why not watch it?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to an article in the current issue of SMARTMEDIA Magazine, Matt Marantz, ESPN's WSOP producer, is taking over as executive producer of ESPN/ABC's football broadcasts. He intends to adopt the poker broadcasting model for football games. The shows will be shorter, edited broadcasts concentrating on the most interesting plays, with more human interest segments...

linky

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a football fan. I am a MMA fan. I started watching the new leage called IFL. They edit the fights to make it more exciting for the average viewer and it totally ruins the sport. Sports are exciting to watch because of the ups and downs. If it is all 'ups' it will no longer be exciting to watch. They have to do this with poker because it would be unwatchable except to serious poker players and think it is a ridicilous idea to think other sports should be broadcasted this way.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, ABC/ESPN are having *horrible* ratings with NASCAR. Now, don't get me started with Nascar bashing but their ratings have declined by 20-25% over the last 3 years. Ouch!

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason ABC/ESPN's ratings for NASCAR are horrible is that the coverage itself is horrible. They care more about the commercials than the event going on, and they spent an insane amount of money on that stupid "draft tracker" that nobody cares for. The commentators are awful.

ESPN as a whole has been going downhill because they have started caring more about the "human interest" side of things than the "SPORTS" side of things. Maybe they should just become the HIN - Human Interest Netowrk.

Oh, yeah, and non-live football games? Get real.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a MMA fan. I started watching the new leage called IFL. They edit the fights to make it more exciting for the average viewer and it totally ruins the sport.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT.

Really disapointed in IFL. IFL does post production editing and they still can't put together footage that is as good as UFC does with live productions. IFL is far away from being able to do live broadcasts, and it hurts their ratings that the fights all happened a month or three prior to the airing.

I thought maybe someone clued them in, because they toned down the stupid ring girl competition and got a little better at switching cameras when the ref blocked the view. But I see they are back to doing things that ruin the atmosphere, like cutting to shots of the audience in the middle of rounds. What idiot came up with that idea?

And they waste time on human interest stuff that is repetitive and at best hokey. At worst it's lauding some guy for wrestling a restaurant robber who has a gun pointed at a little girl. Retarded.