Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Write a Brief Dissenting Opinion About a Popular Title Thread.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know I'm a big minority here, but Guitar Hero. I played it once, thought it was cool, spent $70 on the game and controller, beat it on medium, switched to hard and realized the time I was spending time learning the songs I could be spending learning the real songs on real guitar. I was so pissed when I realized this and started playing my guitar more and got substantially better. Now I don't like the game at all and kind of loathe playing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've played guitar for 16 years and i don't care for the whole 'real guitar' argument...they are completely different experiences...u may as well say "the time i spent on assassin's creed i could have spent learning chinese"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I've only been playing for about 10 (2 really seriously) and I was going through learning everything really slowly so I could get the muscle memory down. I hated that because it was to a point where it wasn't fun and it was just practice. I can play any song on medium, but after that it's not fun for me to play because I'm spending time practicing a game for what? So I can play it on hard or expert? I had more fun practicing a real guitar than practicing for GH.

Don't hate because I don't like this game, I thought that is what this thread was for. The one thing that I did like is that it made me want to play guitar better.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Also GH and guitar has far more in common than any other game and the subject that they are turning virtual, so your AC comparison is extremely weak IMO.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:10 PM

nothing personal; i just disagree with the logic connecting gh to real guitar...u are spending time practicing gh on hard/expert in order to be a better player at that game; similiar to playing madden on pro mode or any other game...but if real guitar is more fun for u than gh, then obv play real guitar...if real guitar is more fun than any video game, then play real guitar instead of that video game...if another video game is more fun than gh, then play that video game
Old 11-09-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nothing personal; i just disagree with the logic connecting gh to real guitar...u are spending time practicing gh on hard/expert in order to be a better player at that game; similiar to playing madden on pro mode or any other game...but if real guitar is more fun for u than gh, then obv play real guitar...if real guitar is more fun than any video game, then play real guitar instead of that video game...if another video game is more fun than gh, then play that video game

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know, I've just gotten the same response from so many people when I tell them I don't like the game. It was fun for a while, but then it was work to get good. At least w/ practicing for other games it seems like less work and more fun.

For example I love practicing for Halo 3. I get a kick out of playing my brothers and their friends cause it can be 3 or 4 on 1 and I'll still win. Practicing on legendary is also fun, but sometimes frustrating, but still it doesn't seem like work. GH seemed like I needed to work (not play) to get better and I would rather put that work towards something else.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know, I've just gotten the same response from so many people when I tell them I don't like the game. It was fun for a while, but then it was work to get good. At least w/ practicing for other games it seems like less work and more fun.

For example I love practicing for Halo 3. I get a kick out of playing my brothers and their friends cause it can be 3 or 4 on 1 and I'll still win. Practicing on legendary is also fun, but sometimes frustrating, but still it doesn't seem like work. GH seemed like I needed to work (not play) to get better and I would rather put that work towards something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the time you spent playing Halo, you could have been an Olympic-caliber shooter.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the time you spent playing Halo, you could have been an Olympic-caliber shooter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah yeah, I get it. My point is lost even on a thread dedicated to bitching about really popular games.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:03 PM

nah, the point isn't lost

i'm just writing my own dissenting opinion on the popular thread title of 'play real guitar instead of gh' that people write all over the internets
Old 11-09-2007, 03:58 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I hadnt paid for a video game in like 2 years. Last month I bought: FIFA 2008, Orange Box and COD4. I wish instead of buying Orange Box I had just bought TF2 because everything else in Orange Box is worthless. At first Episode 2 sounded cool, but do I really want to play expansion levels of a game i beat like 2 years ago? Not really. So basically I paid 50 bucks for TF2, which seems like it would sell alone for like 20 bucks. Kind of a lame deal imo.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also GH and guitar has far more in common than any other game and the subject that they are turning virtual, so your AC comparison is extremely weak IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno, many sims require exacting knowledge and don't give much of a good game experience without the proper controllers, either. Airplane flight sims, Apache Longbow, the Nascar series, etc.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah yeah, I get it. My point is lost even on a thread dedicated to bitching about really popular games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point's a good one, you're just getting the response that dissenting generally gets. Kind of a, if you don't like the heat, get outta the kitchen deal or whatever when it comes to writing stuff you know in advance people won't agree with. Nature of the beast, and whatever other cliche I can pull out.

The other guys have good points too. It's just that a) they think the game has a better work/fun ratio than you do and b) probably some of them don't play the guitar or have one anyway, so playing guitar is not an option for them in the first place.