Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Write a Brief Dissenting Opinion About a Popular Title Thread.

WoW is cool if you're in a guild with friends, for like 3 months, then it becomes boring. The 3 months are worth the 10$ a month or w/e they charge, tho.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Those games have appeal for the social aspects mostly. To have any more appeal, they have to be extraordinarily well-designed. Otherwise you finally get all your spells and abilities and get used to them, mastering your character and thereby outgrowing all your challenges. And you can get very far in those games without actually really mastering your character, either. I don't think there's the depth in gameplay design yet to support those games in much more than their social aspects.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got to the end of FFXII without leveling at all. Just before the final boss I looked on gamefaqs to see what he'd be like in terms of attacks and recommended level and such. I saw that I'd have to spend several hours leveling to stand a chance, turned it off and haven't looked back.

I feel like I wasted dozens of hours to get to the end of a game and not be able to polish her off, but being forced to level is so [censored] ghey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't played XII, but I have this problem with a lot of RPG's released after the NES. Leveling was a huge part of FF1 and the Dragon Warrior games and that's fine. The problem with so many more "modern", story-heavy RPG's is that as you said, you can breeze through the entire game without leveling UNTIL you get to the final boss, who is absolutely impossible.

Just make a proper learning curve and not a huge spike at the end you idiots. If you have to spend an average of half an hour leveling for each major dungeon/boss fight that's fine - just keep it consistent.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:00 PM

Half Life's AI was so far beyond what was out there at the time that it would be remembered just for advancing that.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Half Life's AI was so far beyond what was out there at the time that it would be remembered just for advancing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, anyone picking up Half-Life 1 for the first time isn't going to see it as the stellar game that it is because it looks like so many other games now, just with worse graphics. What these people don't realize is that Half-Life revolutionized a ton of gameplay and story elements that we take purely for granted now.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:06 PM

Yeah, context definitely matters.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 PM

Rock Band looks really gay.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Twilight Princess is overrated because it's more or less a port of Ocarina of Time (which itself was just A Link to the Past in 3D) except with added lame sections (basically anything to do with the wolf), new useless items (anyone find more than one non-mandatory use for anything you pick up post-master sword?) and wiimote use. Nintendo could easily have made the best game ever if they'd just thought up a new plot line.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
added lame sections (basically anything to do with the wolf)

[/ QUOTE ]

SOMEONE FINALLY AGREES WITH ME.

I didn't finish the damn game because the third or fourth time they said "HERE GO TO DARK WORLD TO COLLECT POINTLESS ORBS AS A WOLF THEN COME BACK AND WE'LL LET YOU PLAY AGAIN" I told the game to go [censored] itself.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Twilight Princess is overrated because it's more or less a port of Ocarina of Time (which itself was just A Link to the Past in 3D) except with added lame sections (basically anything to do with the wolf), new useless items (anyone find more than one non-mandatory use for anything you pick up post-master sword?) and wiimote use. Nintendo could easily have made the best game ever if they'd just thought up a new plot line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't played this or Wind Waker yet, but I started getting annoyed with the Zelda formula when I played Oracle of Seasons. The overworld stuff I thought was good and fun and somewhat fresh, but the "8 dungeons that haven't changed since 1991" thing is really starting to piss me off.

I still put Ocarina in my top 5 though.