Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Farha on Omaha - Anybody read it yet?

In my opinion, Bob Caiffone's book is a good place to start, after that you can read Farha's book which will give you more ideas on different Omaha plays. Then you can try to read Secrets of Professional Pot Limit Hold'em by Rolf Slotboom which I consider the best Omaha High book in the market. This book has some excellent examples and also a quiz at the end of the book.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM

I flipped through it at my local Barnes & Noble.

I don't know anything about Omaha except that it's an evil game invented by witches.

I read the bit about him intentionally folding a +EV hand so he could be ahead for the night and how this was "good money management".

At this point, I started getting flashbacks of reading John Patrick's books on Craps or whatever.

Did.
Not.
Want.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no "best" PLO book out there. Try searching every other PLO book thread. Only 3 books are mentioned and none of them are highly recommended by PLO regulars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen any mention of Lyle Berman's PLO chapter in SS2. Any reviews on his info?
Mike
Old 11-02-2007, 10:27 PM

FWIW running it once, twice or hundred times makes no difference EV wise.
I can show you the calculations, but only if someones interested in it.
When Farha really says that he only runs it twice when he's a underdog than his math skills suck, and it's probably more superstitions.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:36 PM

^^ good point
Old 11-03-2007, 06:15 PM

I read through Farha on Omaha at Borders. Here's my review:

I was very disappointed by Farha on Omaha. The book is rather short and covers three games: Limit Omaha, Limit Omaha/8, Pot Limit Omaha and Omaha tournaments. The tournament sections are barely worth reading. The Full Tilt Poker: Tournament Strategy Edition covers Omaha tournaments 100 times better than Farha's book. The Limit Omaha section takes up about a third of the book and it's useless since nobody plays Limit Omaha. The Omaha/8 sections and Pot Limit Omaha sections contain mostly basic strategy such as drawing to the nuts, dangers of bottom and middle set and not playing for half the pot in O8 games. Good for beginners, but already standard knowledge for most players. There are occasional nuggets of information that are pretty useful for an intermediate player (short-handed PLO play, playing against short stack players), but not enough to get an intermediate player to buy the book.

However, book is not for pure newbie players (Omaha should never be the first game a beginner learns). The rules are barely explained for a total newbie to pick up and understand. It'll confuse the hell out of them. This book is good for a player who is already fairly experienced in another game and wants to make the transition to playing Omaha. They will pick up the techniques in this book much faster and use them more wisely. Those people are the only ones who should consider purchasing this book. There's just enough information to make them a winning player in soft, low-limit games.

I really wish this book went into more depth about PLO and O8. When a book is less than 200 pages long and spends only 60 pages or so about the two games combined, you know that there's way too much information missing. PLO is a very complex game and really requires a full book's worth of information to properly explain how to play winning PLO (at least 150 pages, possibly 200+). It lacks the advanced strategies that can make somebody a winner at middle and high limit games. Ed Miller's O8 section in High Low Split Poker for Advanced Players is far better than Farha's O8 section in his book and Secrets of Professional Pot Limit Omaha is the best (and only) book for advanced PLO strategy.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read through Farha on Omaha at Borders. Here's my review:

I was very disappointed by Farha on Omaha. The book is rather short and covers three games: Limit Omaha, Limit Omaha/8, Pot Limit Omaha and Omaha tournaments. The tournament sections are barely worth reading. The Full Tilt Poker: Tournament Strategy Edition covers Omaha tournaments 100 times better than Farha's book. The Limit Omaha section takes up about a third of the book and it's useless since nobody plays Limit Omaha. The Omaha/8 sections and Pot Limit Omaha sections contain mostly basic strategy such as drawing to the nuts, dangers of bottom and middle set and not playing for half the pot in O8 games. Good for beginners, but already standard knowledge for most players. There are occasional nuggets of information that are pretty useful for an intermediate player (short-handed PLO play, playing against short stack players), but not enough to get an intermediate player to buy the book.

However, book is not for pure newbie players (Omaha should never be the first game a beginner learns). The rules are barely explained for a total newbie to pick up and understand. It'll confuse the hell out of them. This book is good for a player who is already fairly experienced in another game and wants to make the transition to playing Omaha. They will pick up the techniques in this book much faster and use them more wisely. Those people are the only ones who should consider purchasing this book. There's just enough information to make them a winning player in soft, low-limit games.

I really wish this book went into more depth about PLO and O8. When a book is less than 200 pages long and spends only 60 pages or so about the two games combined, you know that there's way too much information missing. PLO is a very complex game and really requires a full book's worth of information to properly explain how to play winning PLO (at least 150 pages, possibly 200+). It lacks the advanced strategies that can make somebody a winner at middle and high limit games. Ray Zee's O8 section in High Low Split Poker for Advanced Players is far better than Farha's O8 section in his book and Secrets of Professional Pot Limit Omaha is the best (and only) book for advanced PLO strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I had to fyp.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:50 AM

I read SS2 PLO at Borders too since I didn't want to shelve out 60AUD for 40 pages (already got SS1). Now I only started playing PLO (jumped straight into 200PLO) about 2 months ago and learnt pretty quickly. I read this book hoping that it'd have some cool insights but I can truly say that I learnt nothing from it. If you play for about 1 hour you quickly realise what Lyle says: that you need to be careful without the nuts, about chasing draws on paired flops etc.

The only thing I do remember reading and taking a mental note of was (paraphrased):

'Check behind the nut flush sometimes on turn when you make it so you'll get paid off on the river'.

I remember this because I didn't really agree with it but I guess it's something you can add to your arsenal for sure (you'd prob work that out too anyway).
Old 11-04-2007, 04:30 PM

didn't really get much out of the book
Old 11-10-2007, 06:28 AM

I just read poker books for entertainment mostly, since I never play for money (I might kill someone if I lost more than $1.50) and I haven't read Ed Miller's book, but I've read many other Omaha books/sections like Hellmuth's, parts of Cloutier's(Champ. Omaha-I like the guy and I like his books as well), SS2, Full-Tilt, and Thursday Night Poker.

On Friday, I went to the store and read through the Omaha parts from Mastering Hold'em and Omaha(Caro/Cappalletti) and didn't have any desire to take it home. However, when I sat down to read Farha's(I like him as well) book I found it a much more enjoyable read.

I didn't really learn anything new (yet), and was also disappointed there wasn't more strategy (weak tournament content). Still, I loved reading every one of the 30 or so pages that I read. I was interested to find out how he played Omaha and I could also easily picture Sammy's big grin as I was reading his words(even without my LSD). I liked how he bragged about not looking at his cards and then when the guy told him to, he still just faked it and cleaned the guy out. He was playing the player. Nothing new, but it's Farha, so I enjoyed every word, and won't mind paying $15 for it next week. He often jumps from Omaha to Texas Hold'em stories which I found a bit confusing, but that's just because I was rushing through it. All the more reason to buy it and just take my time. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]