Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Absolute Soulreading/Rigged thread #3

U are assuming the cheat isn't greedy, and has a good understanding of poker strategy. It would be appear this person or person (s) was both greedy and a horrible player despite the fact he could see the cards.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Absolute Cheating

[ QUOTE ]

Back when I was just learning, I emailed True Poker about suspicious hands before and they have sent me the HH in question with all players' hole cards to explain that it was not cheating. If True Poker can do that, Absolute should be able to as well.

Fell

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you extemerly naieve or something? Do you honestly believe that if cheating occurred Absolute would provide the actual hand histories that prove it? They would either provide nothing, which is what I expect, or they would simply doctor them. The thought that a multi million dollar businuss would hand over the rope to hang istelf is laughable.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Back when I was just learning, I emailed True Poker about suspicious hands before and they have sent me the HH in question with all players' hole cards to explain that it was not cheating. If True Poker can do that, Absolute should be able to as well.

Fell

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome. I'd email them 'I have witnessed some suspicious hands. I have played 30k hands this month and all players were pretty suspicious in each hand. Please email HH's with all hole cards?'
Old 09-21-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
U are assuming the cheat isn't greedy, and has a good understanding of poker strategy. It would be appear this person or person (s) was both greedy and a horrible player despite the fact he could see the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe yes... still seems very strange to me. The guy must be really stupid. Even if he is greedy/very bad player he has to take into account the fact that he might get caught by the other players !!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:15 AM

I'm starting to doubt the long-term viability of this fight against AP's stance. It's very difficult to really hit them hard.

I've thought about asking BLUFF to put a notice on every page in thepokerdb where AP stats are being shown. The notice would provide a link to a page with a summary and links to the 2+2 threads. The problem is that it's hard to get BLUFF to cut off a consistent advertiser while also hurting the perception of online poker. It just doesn't offer them an immediate material benefit and provides a number of material detriments. And just because I might want to see it happen doesn't mean the majority owners of BLUFF would agree with me because it's their income stream that would be directly affected by a decision like this.

The question is who is both a) willing to take the hit and b) has the pull to actually get something done here. I'm not sure. The NYT w/ Levitt is a start.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Fell

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome. I'd email them 'I have witnessed some suspicious hands. I have played 30k hands this month and all players were pretty suspicious in each hand. Please email HH's with all hole cards?'

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly. Obviously they would not do so if there was nothing to be suspicious about or if the request was abused.

Fell
Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 AM

I don't know what's the big deal about getting it in some magazine. There are far more people reading forums like this nowadays than some magazine. Why bother buying a magazine when you can all the info as soon as it happens on the internet. You also get better strategy analysis and can contribute to discussions, etc.... Also, it's not like this forum is some hidden trove of info for a select group of players these days, I would say the majority of online poker players now read sites such as these, probably every other day like myself, as can be seen in how much tighter the games have got in the last year. It's no longer one or two regs and the rest fish at the table, it's now one or two fish and the rest are regs(whether they are good regs is a diffent matter). So in effect, a certain amount of damage has already been done to Absolute.

Getting this out to the wider media is gonna do more harm than good really as far as I can see. It'll have a negative impact on fish sign up rates at all sites. I'd say you could be looking at a severe lack of fish if this story was publicised enough and I certainly don't want that, it's bad enough that the golden days have gone, we don't need to lose what we have left aswel.
The fact that nothing serious can really be done about this issue, without hurting pro poker players themselves, is very disappointing but that's just the nature of the situation when you are trying to hold to account an unregulated, unaccountable offshore complany.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 AM

if someone set up a website - boycottabsolutepoker.com, or something, that could have an impact. Maybe I'll do it myself.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:24 AM

I dont understand why reject/failed journos (or just any weasal journo in general, ie all of them) arnt jumping over a story like this

I mean what if some guy managed to cheat at a HS table in Vegas or w/e. Surely that is news worthy
Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah the battleship analogy is the best. The only thing is that you can still lose playing poker even if you make the correct play after seeing your opponents hole cards. In battleship, once you know where their ships are, you're guaranteed victory.

No analogy can be perfect though, and this is by far the best I've heard yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, over the course of the game your opponent can still sink some of your ships, just like other players could beat DoubleDrag in individual hands. But in the longrun, you will win Battleship, just like DD will win at poker.
Closed Thread