Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Do I need a new power supply w/ my new Vid Card?

I want to install a Radeon x1600pro vid card in my new comp(getting it tomorrow!!). I already bough this card off ebay for $120.

My question is the card recommends a 350 watt power supply. But, my comp has a 305watt supply.
Wondering

1.Do I really need to get a new one?
2.What happens if I don't get one?
3.Is it difficult to install it, I was planning on having Geek Squad install the card for $40.I'm really scared to do it myself as I have never opened up a comp before.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Do I need a new power supply w/ my new Vid Card?

1. You may be able to get away without getting one, IMO, others may tell you different...depending on whether you will be gaming a lot, or rendering a lot of 3d graphics. If you're just playing poker, you should be fine.

2. If you don't get one and play games, you will have a lot of problems. But with just poker and everyday computing, you should have 0 trouble.

3. It really isn't that difficult to install, as computers nowadays only have virtually one place it can go because they limit the motherboards so much. BUT, if you aren't comfortable with it, I would just go ahead and have them do it. Because you may have to disable the on board gfx and stuff...probably the easiest for you.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:51 AM

As usual, I pretty much agree w/ goldtoes.

I will digress a tad tho and suggest you take the plunge and try to install the new card yourself....for a couple reasons.

1: A vid card is pretty straight forward (follow manufacturer instructions for driver/software installation....it'll only plug in one way)

2: If you complete the above successfully, and IF you wind up needing another power supply.....it's not any harder (actually easier since there's no drivers to change) to swap to a better power supply. You'll need to take out a few more screws and un/re-plug a few more connectors for a power supply, but there's no software changes at all.

The way I'm looking at it, Geekwhoever will charge you $40 for the vid card...and if you need to call them again for a power supply, that's another $40 (or more?). For a potential $80, I'd say try to save the initial $40 and do it yourself for a confidence booster....worst case scenario you try it and pussy out and call geek* for the same $40 you would have spent anyway.

Seems to be a +EV upside on this one to realize most component repairs are pretty simple, and there's no risk cause worst case scenario, you pay the same price you would have paid, anyway.

Either way is fine....but this is a push/win proposition (no loss possible) if you try it yourself first the way you explained it. Might as well go for the win [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Edit: LOL @ the Stuey/Xmas mod on your avatar...nice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2006, 12:56 AM

yep, I agree with BPN, go for it if you want, worst you can do is just call the Geeks if you [censored] up.

I also love the mod on the avatar lol...
Old 12-05-2006, 01:17 AM

researching a bit, seems you need to wear some static guard or some thing, to prevent messing up your vid card-know anything about that? or where to get it?

Also, On ebay it barely costs anymore to get a 500w power supply, will this do anything positive for my comp? Would you recommned a particular watt age? Are all power supplies the same size-will they all fit in my comp?

Thanks so much for the great replys, I think I would like to try this myself.

The avatar mod was made by Sam!!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:25 AM

Wow...the "static band" hahahaha. omg I've had like hundreds of those.....never used one in my life. I think it's a total gimmick.....PROVIDED you ground yourself first....touch the metal case of the computer before anything else (preferably when it's still plugged in so there's an earth-ground path, then unplug the power cord and proceed).

I have killed equipment via static discharge before....Dry day, carpeted office, I was making network cables and crimping ends on them....I went to plug one in and got a shock from the RJ45 plug. Comp wouldn't hook to network. I went to patch panel, swapped ports on the hub for my jack, got shocked again, blew another port on the hub. That's the ONLY time I ever lost a hardware component due to static electricity...and I doubt wearing a "static band" would have helped in that case given the amount of carpet walking I was doing in a dry environment....total "office space doorknob-shock" environment. I never killed any computer part in the same environment (always touched the chassis first while it was grounded, and I never wore a anti-static band).

I think anti-static bands are a gimmick, but possibly could help if you don't intentionally neutralize the electrical potential between body and device beforehand (by touching a grounded surface)
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 AM

I thought it was redickulous, but wanted to make sure. So I can get any power supply-because I think
I'm gonna buy this one.

Thanks so much seriously!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:11 AM

yea the old static wristband...it's not a horrible idea, but no one in the field uses it.

just hold your hand on the case when you're working lol.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:15 PM

hmmmmm re-reading this thread since it was linked from another.....and realized I gave Stuey props for a Avatar mod that out own Sam did (If I remember correctly).

Even if this wasn't one of your avatar mods, Sam....you did kick some serious butt in the xmas avatar thread. Nice work! (and of course Stuey still r0x as well).