Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 12:35 PM

Default LO8 -- continuation bets, heads up...

I don't have hand histories at work, so details are a little off. The table is 9-handed, not overly loose but blinds are almost always defended (small but not micro stakes).

You have a good hand in LMP: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You open for a raise and are only called by BB who is generally good and straightfoward but has been caught once being tricky...

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB check, I bet, BB calls.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB check, I bet, BB raises.

Where do you usually go from here? Always fold? Call down? Call and fold on the river to a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or another straight card?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Re: LO8 -- continuation bets, heads up...

Never an "always" answer in O8, it's player-dependant in these type of situations.

If he's generally good and straightforward, ask yourself "What type if hand is he check/calling the flop with?"

Would he call with any flush draw, or just top pair/gutshot, or an underpair to the top card on the board?

Does he call these types of flops putting you on A2/A3 and try to fire you off the turn with nothing himself?

Does he checkraise his made hands often, or checkraise draws/air?

I don't think a heart is the problem here, but more you have to worry about QTxx or KJxx (KQJT is a reasonable hand for him to hold and call flop with, though that's monster under the bed). Small stakes I don't see this being some weird semi-bluff on the turn with a flush draw. I think you're beat, but would call down here to see what he has for future info on how he plays.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:41 PM

I have to imagine folding is your best bet here. why would we call? to spew chips getting information that really isnt all that helpful? not to mention, even if we do call the turn, what river are we happy about callin a PSB with? no card other than maybe a 2 or maybe a 9. even our 3rd ace puts that straight up there, and one of our aces completes the flush.

I agree that opponent has taken an odd line, but i do not think that his line is a [censored] type of line. could OP please tell what limits this actually is, because that does change the entire dynamic of the hand.

I say fold on the turn. Also, i would say not to CB all the time, especially against players who have a solid grasp on the concept of the game. (btw, if this was just a CB catcher, BB would have lead PSB on the turn, not check raised allowing you to pot committ yourself).

Just my 2cents...
Old 08-08-2006, 04:03 PM

Regarding the stakes: It was either a 2/4 or 3/6 hand since that is what I typically play online. (I am adverse to playing higher stakes online but that is probably a topic for another time and another forum.)

Interesting that the two responses so far come from opposite directions. At all different stakes, I find that the turn checkraise in a heads-up pot is not uncommon. It is a way to either:

(1) get the most out of a made hand against the original agressor or

(2) get the original agressor to fold on a crappy board for a good starting hand.

The problem is determining which one is going on here. I tend to believe that (1) is far more common than (2) but I am not sure whether it makes calling down for the possibility of (2) being the case -EV.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:30 AM

Being a blind hand,his range is very wide at these limits.If he has you beat at this point(which I believe is almost all of the time),his most likely hand on the flop was perhaps a wrap containing a J10 & an adjoining card,& he now has a straight.Could also have a set or 2 pair.May or may not also have a flush draw also.In the few cases where he's making a move,it's probably something like a flush draw with with a straight possibility ranging anywhere from an insider to a wrap.
It's hard for me to consider calling here.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:29 PM

Hi TMTTR,

Against a decent player, check behind on the turn, and generally call on the river. If he checks again, bet if you make Aces up, and check again otherwise.

A more difficult question would be what to do if the flop is c/r'd and the turn lead. In that spot, you should do a mix of folding, raise turn/chk river behind, and calling down, in that order of frequency, probably 60/30/10 or something.