Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 03:27 PM

Default David Beckham\'s Knee Injury

I saw the replays a few times on Sportscenter. Call my cynical but I think the dude is faking the severity of the injury and I think he also took a dive on the play to make it look worse. Any opinions from real soccer fans?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: David Beckham\'s Knee Injury

i thought he looked pretty genuinely concerned.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:34 PM

Having been in that situation many times before, definitely not faking it. I accidentally broke a kid's ankle once in a similar play because I got to the ball a split second earlier. It doesn't take much to injure a knee, especially when it is turned like his was, and with that much force...ouch is all I can say.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 PM

The only answer is to do an experiment, so you can experience it for yourself. This isn't quite as good but should demonstrate the basic principle.

Run at a flag pole at full speed. When you reach the flag pole open/turn your foot 90 degrees and hit the pole with that foot while still at essentially a full sprint. -- please video tape.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:56 PM

He went into that half-ass and completely wrong I wouldn't be surprised if it was legit.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:00 PM

It's a joke that he's even playing in the first place.

Stupid Americans spent all spring hyping his arrival up and now either the MLS is forcing him to play hurt to put asses in the seats, or he's forcing himself to play because he's put the league on his shoulders.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Run at a flag pole at full speed. When you reach the flag pole open/turn your foot 90 degrees and hit the pole with that foot while still at essentially a full sprint. -- please video tape.

[/ QUOTE ]

See you are re-enforcing my suspicions. Beckham has been playing long enough to know not to run into the flag pole. I'll bet he has been in very similar situations thousands of times without injuring himself.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:15 PM

Ok, new example -- american football players tackle often enough that they should know how to avoid getting 'stingers' -- I think that's what it's called when they essentially compress their spinal chord (or something like that) due to hitting a guy wrong --- yet it happens. Poor form/technique, but a real injury.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stupid Americans spent all spring hyping his arrival up and now either the MLS is forcing him to play hurt to put asses in the seats, or he's forcing himself to play because he's put the league on his shoulders.

[/ QUOTE ]MLS isn't forcing him to do anything. He isn't playing because MLS is on his shoulders.

Bottom line is he shouldn't be playing, but I think he is forcing himself to play because he still wants to play for England.

He should stop playing for the rest of the season. He's already made them tons of money this season.

LAG should fire Yallop already, replace him with Klinsmen. Use the salary cap increase to re-sign Landy and reload for next year.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:24 PM

That looked incredibly painful...kicking the ball at the same time as someone else is really really brutal.