Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 12:43 AM

Default aces up versus dead paired door card, stud hi

$200 HORSE MTT. Was I right to full bet on 4th? Should I call him down?

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High (500/1,000), Ante 100, Bring-In 150 (converter)

Seat 1: 13,726
Seat 2: 754
Hero: 10,554
Seat 4: 10,162
Seat 5: 11,995
Seat 6: 4,954
Seat 7: 16,251

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (4.70 SB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___double-bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

5th Street - (6.35 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___???
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Old 06-25-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: aces up versus dead paired door card, stud hi

You raised third street. Hooray!

I don't know why you wouldn't bet double on fourth. I'd probably put in another raise. Did this guy really play split Sixes for a full bet when another Six was out? I'm guessing he has two pair, in which case you're in excellent shape.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:39 AM

I would re-raise and keep pounding. You can't easily give him the case card, so barring that, you have way the best hand and dude is drawing to no more than three outs to pull ahead. His raise is consistent with a small two-pair hand.

If he plays bad and caught perfect there's nothing you can do about it. Defaulting to the notion that your opponents are both stupid and lucky is an expensive cop out, so don't do it.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 AM

Unfortunately, he did call the raise with split 6s after the other 6 had limped. I just called down and got shown trips. BBV?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would re-raise and keep pounding. You can't easily give him the case card, so barring that, you have way the best hand and dude is drawing to no more than three outs to pull ahead. His raise is consistent with a small two-pair hand.

If he plays bad and caught perfect there's nothing you can do about it. Defaulting to the notion that your opponents are both stupid and lucky is an expensive cop out, so don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I would agree, however are there any tournament implications to consider here? If he does in fact have trips, we are fairly crippled and can't reload.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I would agree, however are there any tournament implications to consider here? If he does in fact have trips, we are fairly crippled and can't reload.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean that in a tournament there will be more bad players, or just that you're on a tight roll? Neither one is an excuse to avoid making what ought to be the best play. If the Aces were visible, then you could take a read and maybe give him credit for trips.

If your read is "He's terrible, maybe he had split Sixes," It might just as well be "He's terrible, maybe he'll go broke with Kings-and-Sixes."
Old 06-25-2007, 03:51 PM

The posters here are sayiing "it's unlikely he started with split 6s given the early action" but they are ignoring the fact that the later action makes it seem a lot more likely that he has in fact made trips. Was this player reasonable? A decent hand reader? Not likely to be making a play at you? Was your image solid? Barry Greenstein has a great example in Ace on the River of a hand he played in college where statistics made the hand he had highly improbable, but the action made it (in his mind) virtually certain. Anyway, there's more to these situations than what someone "should" have.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The posters here are sayiing "it's unlikely he started with split 6s given the early action" but they are ignoring the fact that the later action makes it seem a lot more likely that he has in fact made trips. Was this player reasonable? A decent hand reader? Not likely to be making a play at you? Was your image solid? Barry Greenstein has a great example in Ace on the River of a hand he played in college where statistics made the hand he had highly improbable, but the action made it (in his mind) virtually certain. Anyway, there's more to these situations than what someone "should" have.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh, it seems incredible he would call a raise from a T with dead 6s, particularly with a 6 limper. However, when he checkraised 4th I was very worried about it, although he could have 2-pair. I definately don't like a 3-bet on 4th.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean that in a tournament there will be more bad players, or just that you're on a tight roll? Neither one is an excuse to avoid making what ought to be the best play. If the Aces were visible, then you could take a read and maybe give him credit for trips.

If your read is "He's terrible, maybe he had split Sixes," It might just as well be "He's terrible, maybe he'll go broke with Kings-and-Sixes."

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm just saying that in a tourney situation like this, it may be more important to not lose more chips than it is to gain an extra bet. You will be able to hang on for a decent hand for a while unless you get very unlucky with the bring ins, but that one extra BB you win when you are ahead most likely isnt the difference between a good cash or not. Unless you plan to fold if he caps it on 4th, I think an argument can be made for just check/calling it down instead of "pounding". The +EV you sacrifice when you are ahead may be offset somewhat by living to fight on in the tournament.

This could all change based on a read. If it was someone I perceived to be a very strong stud player, I think you can raise because, as we all agree, this isnt a hand that villain should have even played on 3rd.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:12 PM

I usually just call down here and bet the river if he checks.

I don't really like reraising because I am risking two bets to win one, and possibly inducing a fold when he would have kept betting with very little equity.