Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Registration for 1 on 1 political debate threads

[ QUOTE ]
When you're constantly on the brink of permaban in BBV, you're doing something right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-10-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd take... or con on either of the drug legalization questions, provided the other participants are still interested, and can do it after the 14th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was the one who said I would do the Pro side for heroin should be legal.

Although I'm not as juiced up to do the debate as I was when I orgiginally posted to do it I still will and can wait until the 14th.

If you would rather do the pot and the pro pot guy is still interested that is fine, or if you want to tackle me before you take the lightweight drug that might be cool too. I'm a rank novice when it comes to any kind of formal debating, and have never studied this issue or anything, so I hope the group doesn't have high standards for my style [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be glad to debate the con, or why heroin should be illegal. I have ample first hand experience regarding the subject of heroin, addiction, and the effects it can have on a person and more importantly, their family.

Note, I was never a user. And pre-heroin I was against the prohibition of all drugs. Sometimes reality changes things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think somapopper gets first dibs on me (we talked about starting on the 14th).

And to be clear, I will not be suggesting that heroin has positive effects on the family, or that it is not addictive. My postion is that it should be legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might ask somapopper to consider letting me debate this in his place. I would appreciate the opportunity greatly.

And to be clear, I will be suggesting that heroin has terrible effects on the family and on society, and that it should remain illegal. I, personally speaking, have known no greater evil in twenty four years. One might even venture to say that the long reaching ramifications of the drug have had an absolutely profound impact on my life, my choices, my family, my friends, and without it's devastating presence I would most likely be an entirely different individual than I am today. However, I still feel confident that I can discuss the subject as objectively as anyone, still though, I'd dare you to neutralize the insufferable tragedies that I'd describe to this forum, tragedies that would only become more and more rampant in society if we were to allow something so overwhelmingly euphoric to be made readily and legally available to a generation of people who could likely make the cocaine craze of the early 1980's pale in comparison to what we would see if a much more powerful and addictive drug were to be made legal.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 AM

just out of curiosity...

did you find my deleted diatribe against a former member amusing?

i honestly thought it was, well, funny. and honest. but obviously inappropriate, which is the reason i deleted it.

furthermore, i am still curious, i deleted that post less than a minute after submitting it. how was it recovered and moved to the mod forum?

any chance you could PM it to me?

i'd like to show a friend of mine what i was talking about that day...
Old 04-24-2007, 06:28 PM

proposed debate topic: The combined creation and continuation of Google Book search constitutes copyright infringement under US law.

pro: me
con: ?

I wouldn't be able to start for a couple weeks due to finals.

PM me if you're interested as I don't check this forum often.

edit: I do realize this isn't politics per se
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i woud like to take the position of con for gay marriages. i think I cna handle thaat topic really well without cursing. I dont think anyone can take me one to one on this subject.

[/ QUOTE ]Has anyone accepted? If not, I would be happy to challenge you and take the pro side. It would be a fun challenge because I am somewhat pro gay marriage but I think the current arguments favor the con. So, I would have to pull some creative arguments out of my ass to crush you - which I am sure I could do with 100% certainty [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I certainly would not use the current arguments in circulation because I think there are very strong crushing rebuttals to them. My goal would be to blindside you with a creative approach using arguments you never thought of that would render your arguments unimportant.

Let me know if you are interested in starting off 0-1 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 AM

Just wanted to say that this thread, and concept in general, is a fantastic idea. I only wish that something like this was possible in SMP, where I most often hang out, but it isn't really amenable to it. Looking forward to a good number of these, its too bad no one has offered to take the 'state health care' side of that debate. Its the one I'm most interested in, but I don't think I could give the state side the support it deserves.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:58 AM

I am down sign me up
Edit:I will argue against prohibition of just about anything drugs prostitution gambling guns.

I will argue for gay marriage.

Many other topics but these are a few of the ones I feel knowledgeable about.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:50 AM

So are we done with these now? I was looking forward to the heroine debate.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I hope not. Someone get on the ball with these [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I offered a challenge for one but got no response. I will offer another challenge to anyone who wants to debate global warming and I will take the role of skeptic. The only caveat is that the debate would have to be narrowly focused on a single issue. Otherwise, it would just be a mess.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really not interested in doing this debate anymore since I did the legalize drugs thread.