Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Pullups and made up workout questions

1. i can hardly do a regular pull up with your hands facing outwards, but i can do ~6 with hands facing in. Does it matter? Should i be working on getting better with hands facing out, or will it come naturally by doing the other kind?

2. I really want to do Crossfit, but I don't really have all of the equipment and am trying to train to run a 10k on thanksgiving, so i have been trying to take random workouts they have and modify them a little bit:

for example:
monday ==> 15xDeadlift + 15xsitups on the bench thingy + 1/4 mile sprint continuous x5 (this was pretty much an identical WOD)

tuesday ==> did the WOD which was running clock 1 pullup for first minute, 2 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd and so on until you couldn't do anymore.

Then i went and ran 3 miles @ a 7:30 pace, which is what i am trying to get to for 6 miles.

After that I did 10x dumbbell thrusters for 3 sets with fairly light weight b/c i was already gassed, with 10x perfect form pushups inbetween. 3 sets of this.

Wed.- rest

Thurs. ==> Made up my own workout. 10x deadlift, run 1/4 mile, 8 pullups as best i could, repeat x5.

friday ==> who knows....probably i will run 4 miles at 7:30 pace and try and do some dumbbell & ab excercise after that.

3. Will this type of workout be good for a 10k, make me lose weight, and generally mirror the effects of crossfit?

Also, i would like to add that i plan on throwing in HIIT workouts, but not on any real planned schedule. I am trying to keep it random, but i don't want to do things that aren't beneficial to my goals.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Pullups and made up workout questions

1) Both are essentially working your back, the accessory muscles are slightly different and the overlap isn't 100%, I alternate doing both, and wide/narrow. Pullups are a staple in my workouts (until I get strong enough to just rattle off dozens at a time, at which point they will become a warmup or I will add weight belts. I'd personally keep practicing whichever one you are weaker on. My numbers are pretty much the same, if you can do 6 chinups and not even one pull up thats a mental hang up. The range of motion and muscle isn't THAT different.

2 Thanksgiving is too soon and CF isn't focused enough for the 10k. Train for the 10k, run it. Start CF after.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:04 PM

1. Use all grips. Close, neutral, overhand, underhand, towel, etc.

2. Make sure you are getting your miles in so that your turkey trot comes off enjoyably, without injury, etc.

As for your own mini circuits:

mon/thur: push-ups (or some variation) are a much natural pair on a deadlifting circuit and generally a better choice than situps or pullups, imo (I know the crossfit guru has paired pullups with d/l)

fri: I'd do the dumbell work before the run, myself

3. At this point you want to get some miles in at race pace and also do longer runs. I suspect that diet is the key to losing weight, and that fine tuning against your expenditures is folly. Figure how how much and what you eat. Reduce/eliminate the bad stuff, and replace it with good stuff. Go from there. There's several key elements it seems to me that are missing to make things more like crossfit, but maybe look into that after your run. More important than the programming over the next couple weeks is the general enthusiasm and energy you are dedicating to yourself carrying over.

That's all I have time for, now...
Old 11-02-2007, 08:09 PM

1. if you cant do many with your hands facing outwards get someone to spot you and do negatives and /or flexed hangs and your strength will improve
Old 11-04-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. if you cant do many with your hands facing outwards get someone to spot you and do negatives and /or flexed hangs and your strength will improve

[/ QUOTE ]
I suck at pullups. How do I do negatives and flexed hangs?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I suck at pullups. How do I do negatives and flexed hangs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative =
Grab the bar, jump up with your feet & arms helping, now resist falling down as hard as you can so that you have a slow controlled descent.

Hang = same thing but isometric hold with elbows at 90 degrees instead of a slow descent

"Kipping" to cheat is perhaps better, but you can combine all 3 cheats. This should be done after you've done as many real ones as possible.

Another thing you can do are "upside down pushups" with a bar in the power rack where you have your feet on the ground and keep your body straight as a board and pull up top the bar at an angle.