Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Accessing Home Network Away From Home

I'm currently in Australia for the next six months and the broadband internet prices are outrageous! We pay $59.99/month for 10GB of usage. I have Comcast Cable internet back in the states on a wireless home network. Would it be possible to create a server back at home that I could access, and then somehow use my broadband back at home from here, since that is obviously unlimited bandwidth?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Accessing Home Network Away From Home

um, no.

unless they aren't metering your bandwidth across certain connections or something, it wouldn't help you.

The easiest way to set up a connection to connect to your home computer is with http://www.hamachi.cc. Set it up on your computer at home, create a password-protected network, then access it from anywhere else by installing hamachi and joining the network.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Accessing Home Network Away From Home

Freakin is right about the VPN but if I understand your question correctly, a VPN won't solve your problem. You are saying you'd like to use a non-broadband option Down Under, such as dial-up, to access your broadband connection at home. The problem is this....even if you VPN into your home computer and you are now looking at your home computer desktop which has broadband access, you are still limited to the dial up speeds of your Australia computer. Make sense?

For instance, you VPN into the home computer and browse to Yahoo.com. Your home computer will very quickly load the webpage but it will still take a fairly long time for you to actually see the Yahoo page load. You will also very likely see a lag between the two computers which might be unbearable.

It would be worth a shot and wouldn't cost a dime to try but I really don't think it's going to do what you are hoping for.

Good luck.

BTW, what are the broadband prices down there?