Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-15-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Newbie hand walkthrough

OK, so I'm trying to diversify and learn some different games and so am totally brand new at omaha. I read the chapter in SS2 and browsed this forum a bit. I was hoping someone could take the time to walk through this pretty standard hand (that I likely played incorrectly) with me. I'm putting my thoughts during the hand below.

Preflop - pretty standard right? Obviously not as suited as I'd like but 4 big cards seems reasonably pretty.
Flop - Not exactly the flop I was hoping for, but I'm heads up and there's a decent chance this board is just as scary for my opponent, I'll throw out a cbet and see what happens. After he calls, I'm putting him on something like the non-nut flush, an overpair, a set - generally a weakish made hand.
Turn - Well, i'm solidly ahead of a lot of his possible hands now. I'd say my biggest worry is him holding a couple of rag clubs he's not going to give up, which is probably his most likely holding, statistically. I'd rather check behind here and hope to improve on the river for free. Also, he'll probably bet a fairly wide range on the river given the weakness I'm showing here.
River - didn't improve, but i'll follow through with my plan and call his river bet.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $0.55</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($1.35, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">hero bets $1</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($3.35, 2 players)
UTG checks, hero checks.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($3.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $1.5</font>, hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: $6.35
Old 11-15-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Newbie hand walkthrough

preflop good
flop bad. edit. didn't see it was heads up betting is not horrible but something i dont like doing without some stats on villian
turn good
river flip a coin.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:56 PM

Preflop: Standard.

Flop: Pot it. Anything less than pot shows weakness. His smooth call probably means weak flush or a set.

Turn: You hit your dream card and check? Terrible, imo. To get him off his weak flush or set, you have to bet here. Pot it.

River: Your check on the turn screwed everything here. Villain now believes his hand is goot. If you had bet the turn, good chance villain checks to you on the river. Then you semi-bluff again.

Think about if you had actually held the nut flush. Would you have checked behind on the turn?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 PM

rob121, you still owe me 10$ for when u scammed me
<font color="green">If any place, this belongs in a private message, not on the forum. Please. Thanks.
Buzz</font>
Old 11-15-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Standard.

Flop: Pot it. Anything less than pot shows weakness. His smooth call probably means weak flush or a set.

Turn: You hit your dream card and check? Terrible, imo. To get him off his weak flush or set, you have to bet here. Pot it.

River: Your check on the turn screwed everything here. Villain now believes his hand is goot. If you had bet the turn, good chance villain checks to you on the river. Then you semi-bluff again.

Think about if you had actually held the nut flush. Would you have checked behind on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

this all sounds very reasonable, but at PLO10 the flop call very often means "trapping" with flopped A, K high flush. also weaker flushs are generally called down too so i dont see a way to get villian to fold unless the board pairs
Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rob121, you still owe me 10$ for when u scammed me

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf are you talking about?