Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Semibluff on turn

How often do you bet the river UI after turn semibluff with no showdown value?

I think this is interesting. I rarely follow through, stox seem to always do it.

Do you actually think through the situation before you decide?

Do you base your decision on what kind of opponent you are facing?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Semibluff on turn

I think this is something that should be based completely on what type of player the person you're raising is. I try not to do this until i have a better feel for who the semibluff raise can be profitable against
Old 09-22-2007, 04:02 AM

If you're playing against decent opponents, it should depend on how often you raise the turn and check behind on the river with weak showdownable hands. The more often you take free showdowns with weakish hands, the more effective your river bluffs should be, since your opponent should be calling your turn raise with hands that he doesn't intend on paying off a river bet with.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:50 AM

This depends on how your image is on the opponent and on the board texture.

If you often chk behind narginal holdings or whiffed bluffs on the River the more likely it is a 3rd barrel will work. If the Board is pretty dry id give up if its drawy and the opponent might have called with a weak draw but a better high card or a draw like a 1 card flush plus a weak pair i might bet.

I almost never do it vs opponents who seem to be auto mode meaning they rarely adjust to anything and iam more likely to do it vs opponents who are able to 2 and 3rd level thinking and I have a "valuebet image". This happens when I always have checked behind mit weak holdings and whiffed draws and always valuebet my better holdings and I think my oppenent adjusted to to that by not payingoff anything because I know he knows I know etc...I dont think it makes sense to say you should bet 50% with ur whiffed draws bacause u can easyly bet the wrong 50% so better anylyze the Situation urself and then decide on the information available.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:50 PM

I think too many players semi bluff the turn without SD value and not paying attention to who you are semi bluffing.

That being said, if you do find yourself in a situation of semi bluffing the turn without SD Value, and getting called, the pot will be big enough to justify another river bet most of the time. I just see a lot of good players falling in love (not saying this is you) with the turn semi bluff without SD value.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:57 PM

I think wunderkind's thoughts are pretty spot on. I used to feel obligated to always follow through, but that is clearly incorrect.

THe board texture is most important when deciding whether to follow through or not. Your opponent is most important when deciding whether or not you semi-bluff at all.

When the river does not complete my draw, I ask myself how likely it is that my opponent also called with a draw that beats me. Obv I'm more inclined to bet in this case. I will also ask myself if any other draws were completed (like 3flush came when I semi bluff my oesd). This will make it more difficult for him to call with a weak hand.