Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 AM

Default 8 limpers to the flop - FW 20/40

Here's a hand from Friday that ended up being a huge pot.

I'm in the SB with K 7 offsuit. 6 players limp to me, I throw in $10 and the big blind checks. 8 of us to the flop.

The flop is K 8 4 (two hearts). My immediate thinking is that if the flop contained another high card with the K I would probably check as there would be all kinds of possible hands out there (like if it was K J 4 I would have to worry about ALL the high cards that could make a straight where people would have odds to peel) but with the K 8 4 I decide to put in $20 and see what happens.

1 person calls (we'll call him passive), the villain in this hand (lets call him Tattoo from Fantasy Island) calls, the next guy (lets call him Rob R) raises to $40. Rob R is real aggressive and plays the player more than anyone else I know. I don't say this as a compliment as I have seen him do some strange things and I don't have any real read on where either he or Tattoo is. I call the additional $20 and decide I'll re-evaluate on the turn. Passive calls the additional $20.

Tattoo now raises to $60. Rob R calls,I call, as does Passive. 4 of us to the turn.

River is a 7 (not a heart). 2 checks to Tattoo, who leads out, Rob R raises to $80 and its my action. Both of these players are capable of putting in a lot of money with less of a hand than most and try to take down pots through betting rather than having the winning hand. The other player in the hand (Passive) is unknown to me and still to act behind me. I don't think I'm ahead but there is already a decent pot going and I'm real confident that I'll win if a K or a 7 comes off on the end. There's a small chance that someone has a set of eights but i think it to be unlikely given the preflop action.

I call the $80, as does passive. Tattoo raises to $120. Rob R (who just made it $80) now folds for one additional bet (?). Again he probably had absolutely nothing and decided that he couldn't buy this pot.

I call, as does Passive.

River is another 7 (not a heart) giving me sevens full. Despite the size of the pot I decide to check (I'm confident Tattoo will bet). Passive checks, Tattoo bets, I think for about 2 seconds and raise to $80. Passive folds (later saying he had the nut flush draw) and Tattoo calls. I show sevens full and win the pot.

Tattoo had 5 6 (for the straight on the turn). So this means he had a gutshot on the flop when he made it $60.

Any and all comments appreciated.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: 8 limpers to the flop - FW 20/40

Stop posting results in OP. They bias posters.

I think every street is well-played. Villains flop call/reraise should raise suspicions, but you are forced to call the flop bet. Against this set of villain you should have been planning to fold the turn until you made Kings-up, but once there, you should be most concerned with getting to showdown as cheaply as possible.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:49 AM

Let me get this right, you called 2 bets cold on the turn because you thought you were behind but had odds to hit a K or a 7?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me get this right, you called 2 bets cold on the turn because you thought you were behind but had odds to hit a K or a 7?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm ahead enough to call down 3 bets in a big pot, but I want to get to showdown as soon as possible given the action on the flop and both villains.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 PM

I would only call pre-flop if it was s00ted. Otherwise, nice hand.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would only call pre-flop if it was s00ted. Otherwise, nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding getting 15:1 is ROFL.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only 15:1 if we stop all the betting and run 5 cards.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only 15:1 if we stop all the betting and run 5 cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be the worst level in all of history. Unless you know BB is raising a large majority of the time, it's correct to call with ATC here.

EDIT: HEAD ASPLODE!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has to be the worst level in all of history. Unless you know BB is raising a large majority of the time, it's correct to call with ATC here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm serious and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. Ass cards, ass position and a chance to build some table image. I fold unless I'm only facing one or maybe two loose/terrible limpers.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm serious and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. Ass cards, ass position and a chance to build some table image. I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

More people on this board are calling 95o than folding K7o.